Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I know you fine folks will have a timely answer for me....I am right in the middle of installing my new progressive springs in my front forks. I also have new seals to install.
I have removed the forks, cap and springs and the forks are currently upside down, draining the last of the oil into an old ice cream pail. As I put them there I noticed a screw at the bottom of the fork. I assume that it is an oil drain screw.....note the screw is about 1" from the bottom of hte fork, NOT the fork cylender bolt on the bottom of the fork.

2 questions.
1.) should I boIther removing this considering the fork is upside down draining (and yes I pumped it a few times to remove all old oil)?

2.) Fork seals - Is this the time to replace them (duh)? And how do I get them out? How do I put the new ones in without damaging them?

thanks in advance.
Lizard

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I would take the small screw out just to get behind it clean also. I would also use varsol to clean out the forks and pump it through them....you will be surprised how much more crap will come out. Then flush with fork oil just to get the varsol out then drain . If the seals weren't leaking why are you changing them? If they aren't leaking, don't disturb them. If they are then you need to change them now. You will need about 420cc for each fork if I recall correctly after a good flushing. Search here or at the klrworld site for a how to discription of how to get the seals out. They should have pics to help you.

Hope this helps.....

·
Registered
53 Posts
gen1 and gen2 forks use different amounts of fluid. but its always best to set by height rather than volume. If i remember correctly it was somewhere around 450cc of fluid, then i sucked a tiny bit out with my fork oil height tool to even them out and set them at the height sugested in the manual.

if you decide to change the seals then the air pressure method worked well for me. but like willys said, if its not broke dont' fix it. BTW i didn't remove my drain screw but it wouldn't hurt to do it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
hmmm, I am not sure if I will do the seals. It seems the time to do them as I have the fork tubes out. The seal cover has a small amount of oily dust on them but there is no sign of a real leak. Anybody think this is normal?

The oil that I removed was ugly. Three different shades starting clear brown, then black, then pearly blue/black. I really think I should tear the whole thing down so I can clean up whatever gunk is left in there and then I would replace the seal. I just not sure which way to go. I have done a lot of work this time (front and rear wheel bearnings, swing arm bearing, footpeg lowering bracket, new speedo cable, new throttle cables, fork brace) and so I kinda want to do it all while I have it apart. 25,000 kms on my steed so maybe it is time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The voume is an approximation. The correct way is to set the level. The level is important as it provides for some of the progressive spring rate. As the fork compresses, the air volume is compressed (the oil can not compress). The higher the level, the less air thus a stronger spring like effect towards the end of the fork compression. If you find you are bottoming the forks, you can add a little oil to reduce the air volume and increase the compressed spring rate. Just keep the level equal in both fork tubes. You can add air pressure. Some forks require this, but the KLR is not well designed for extra constant pressure and you can get some seepage around the seals with constant air pressure (at least in my experience). If you try it, no more than 8-10 lbs.

To clean the forks, cycle some light oil based liquid through with the springs removed and the cap back on. If Gen 1, drain using the screw. Cycle the forks until all comes out clean.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the input guys. Here's what I ended up doing.

fork tubes removed
removed stock springs, spacers and oil
pumped thru some new 5 weight oil to 'flush' any remaining gunk
used air pressure to remove old seals
installed new seals and dust caps (so simple I am not sure why I was questioning it!)
installed new 10 wt fork oil
installed new progressive springs
installed on moto
installed eagle mike fork brace

smiled.

looking forward to my first ride!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts