Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I purchased my KLR the original owner who only put 500 miles on it had the Happy Trail crash bars installed by the dealer was well as a number of other things. I always thought that the crash bars would also be a great place to mount a bag or a box. Happy Trails makes bags for their bars but I thought they were at bit expensive at $130 for the par.

So I ended up going to Harbor Freight and picked up two Pelican knock off cases for $12.99 each and they mounted up to the HT crash bars perfectly using some 1/2 inch conduit clamps. I couldn't be happier as I only spent about $40 to do the whole job.

I wanted some aux lights and was looking at the JNS light bar but didn't want to spend the $60....not that it's not a good deal, it is but I just didn't feel like spending that kind of bread so this morning after removing the JNS light bar from my cart at Rocky Mountain ATV I started thinking and thought why not just mount the lights to the front boxes that I had installed.

So off to Walmart I went. They had two lights that would work. One was a big 4" square pod that was 1100 lumens for $19.97. It was made of cast aluminium and looked great but it was heavy. The other option was a 6" 950 lumen light bar and it was about half the weight of the square pod. It too was only $19.97 so I picked up two of those and a wiring harness for an extra $14.

I still need to run my wiring but here is a shot of everything bolted up and operating. I'v very happy with this setup and the lights are really bright...much more than the headlamp. No, they don't turn with the front wheel but they are adjustable left to right so it's not a problem if I want to position them outward a bit to light up the side. For just under $100 to do the total job I'm very pleased.

·
Administrator
8,292 Posts
Google doesn't work on any forum and there is no way I can make sense of this Google URL, no matter how good looking I am or how groovy my personality is. There's no way to get it to kick out a URL with an image file in it. I tried the URL and it didn't even bring back an image that I could download and host.

This URL has 670 characters in it. What sort of flat-billed-cap-vaper who lives-in-momma's-basement-playing-video-games-and-eating-cheese-its millennial Google programmer got sand in his virginny thought that was a friggin' good idea?

My Google spiel:

"The forum software has a built-in protocol for posting pictures, which is [IM G]ww w.yadda.com/pitcher.jpg[/IM G]. If you don't have a URL for the picture that includes the picture filename with suitable image extension (.jpg, .png, .img, etc), then it won't work. Google is not set up to do that, it is set up for storage and mobile device sharing. Plus, many of the Google URLs are hundreds of characters long and the software just tosses its cookies with that.

These long Google URLs are not stable, either. I don't know how long they last, but they are transient.

If you are going to post pictures (which we invite and encourage!) you can either attach them to the post or host them on imgur, smugmug, flickr, any similar image hosting website, or your own website such that you can get that URL with the image filename. All three of the ones I mentioned are popular, free, and easy to use."

We need to get some Russian hackers to take down Google images.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Posting pix's

I use "Post Image" Works great.

·
Registered
54 Posts
you need to have the google image in a shared album set to public (and you must pull the link from the album which should be under sharing icon), the link stays active and the forum should show it.

·
Administrator
8,292 Posts
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

·
Registered
54 Posts
interesting it shows up on mine... and it works on every other forum. Even off a another computer I'm not signed in on google, it shows up. what web browser are you using? maybe it needs to be on chrome. I just checked it doesn't show on IE, damn google...

·
Administrator
8,292 Posts
Please provide a link to a Vbulletin forum where a 600+ character Google link works with the 'Embed Image' protocol.

I'm using Chrome, but I can use half a dozen others.

·
Administrator
8,292 Posts
As before, the URL itself is non-functional. Tried it in IE, Chrome, and Epic.

·
Administrator
8,292 Posts
Not seeing anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Are we going to get to the part where I can see what this fella did with front crash bar boxes and aux lights? I have the Happy Trails front bars and have been wondering about what wonderful things I could attach to them.

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
you need to have the google image in a shared album set to public (and you must pull the link from the album which should be under sharing icon), the link stays active and the forum should show it.

PDW adds (I do NOT see any pic embeded into my view of this post #5. But in this reply box I can read an IMG or what ever about 30 yards long!)

it works in chrome for me
In this post #9 , I get a small attached image of a Green Gen 2 , when I open the attachment, I get a bigger picture & I can even read the text from the previously quoted post #5.

I'm using Mozilla Firefox, on Linux Cinnamon 18.3, I think.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think the title of the post needs to change to "posting pictures on the forrum" because I haven't seen a single thing on lights and boxes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
I hesitate to ask after all this Thread's comments about 'posting images', but!!!

Can you post a pic from the Side of the Bike? It's a genius idear in general, and I'm really curious to see the aesthetic because it certainly seems 'combat effective' (likely to hold up in a pinch).

And I ALWAYS like the idea of saving some bucks. There are some AWESOME "KITS" out there, and many cost lots of money (though usually for good reason). I don't mind a little legwork to save a buck or two. It's when I drive all the way across town to save a coupla bucks that it ain't worth it. But uuuusually...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts