Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Front Sprocket - Got the nut and washer off but...

6K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Uncle Dick 
#1 ·
I was hoping to replace the stock 15t with a 16t.

Removed the nut and locking washer. The front sprocket should just slide off.

But I cannot pull it off!

Any ideas?

#6 ·
You probably will like that 16 T. I even had a 17 T on mine once when I was going for super long mpg.
In the absence of a gear puller, you might try tapping it in several different spots with a metal drift. Don’t blast it hard or you might damage the transmission bearings but some judicious tappings around the perimeter of it might break loose whatever is holding it.

#12 ·
I just changed my front sprocket and had the exact same issue. I was beating myself up trying to figure this out, then I found a compression sleeve remover I bought from home depot and that worked great! It's a little tricky keeping the two sides from slipping off, but worked well enough. You just have to make sure the little round attachment is on the end so the end doesn't go through the bike (if that makes sense). It was super cheap and seemed to be made for that exact purpose. Hope this helps!

Husky Compression Sleeve and Faucet Puller

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Compression-Sleeve-and-Faucet-Puller-63876/304543091

P.s. I also am in Vegas! Let me know if you would like to ride. And that 16 tooth sprocket is amazing!

Attachments

#16 ·
Follow-up:

Success in removing the front sprocket! I tried some of the posted suggestions, but no luck.

Wound up using a 3" gear puller purchased from Amazon to remove the sprocket. Still took some effort to get it off. I feel like I'm the only KLR owner that had this issue.

But I love the new 16t sprocket! With the 15t, revs were about 5200 at 75mph. With the 16t, it's a less buzzy 4800 (approximate) at 75.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.