Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 KLR my front sprocket is worn out it is held on by two bolts which I have pulled however the sprocket or the spacer will not come off. They are loose but will not come off.
Also I have tried to drop my swing arm I took off the top nut that holds it, but I cannot remove the top bolt it will not budge. I have even tried to beat it out but with no luck. I live in a small town in Wyoming and I need some help, any suggestions.

·
Registered
56 Posts
LazyW: I changed the front sprocket on my '08. When I took the single nut off I too had trouble getting the sprocket off. I tapped it a few times with a mallet and got a couple of slot screwdrivers behind it, twisting them to eased it forward a bit, moved the screwdrivers a few inches aroiund and repeated until I had gone all the way around, approx 6 positions. The sprocket was out approx 1/4 in or so and I was able to pull it off by hand at that point. Perhaps a spray of WD40 or liquid wrench would help also. (I used WD40). As for the swing arm, it probably never got more than the factory grease on it, in other words, none !!! EVER !!! If a mallet wont break it loose you can try turning the bolt with a wrench/breaker bar ? I know you took the nut off but I'd think that turning the bolt will help break it loose. Again, a little, or alot, of penetrating oil on the nut end, with the bike on it's side, may help. If you can get it turning, tap on the thread (nut) end while turing the other, that should get it moving. If that doesn't work I'd consider getting a new KLR.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Be careful prying it off with screwdriver's, you can damage the oil seal behind the sprocket and then you will have a couple of problem's. Just tap it lightly with a small brass drift and a hammer top then bottom and so on repeatedly use some penetrating oil it will come off.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I have a 1989 KLR my front sprocket is worn out it is held on by two bolts which I have pulled however the sprocket or the spacer will not come off. They are loose but will not come off.
Also I have tried to drop my swing arm I took off the top nut that holds it, but I cannot remove the top bolt it will not budge. I have even tried to beat it out but with no luck. I live in a small town in Wyoming and I need some help, any suggestions.
Two bolts?:confused: Mine just has one nut with a washer that folds over to lock it in place. If the nut has been removed the sprocket "should" just slid off with the lock washer.

I saw this online and thought if the sprocket is just stuck you could try it.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Penetrating oil and patience. And if you "tap" the threaded end, make sure you've put a nut on far enough to protect the threads even if you use a brass or plastic hammer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts