·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for a replacement for my stock one, any suggestions?:brick::SadSigh:

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
16 tooth much better for the highway and possibly not too high for easy off roading. It'll drop the RPMs 500 throughout the range. Sun sprockets are good. No after market sprockets wear as well as the stocker, plus they do not have the rubber on them. Just saying. Also do not just change a sprocket and not the chain IF the sprocket is worn in any way. The chain will be worn also if old etc. Then you need to check the rear sprocket also. Sorry to cause you to spend more, but in the long run it's best to change them as a set.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sun stocker it is then, and i planned on the chain as well. both are cheap anyway. thanks willys

·
Registered
37 Posts
I keep hearing that going up 2-3 teeth on the back sprocket helps on the dirt, I guess depends on the kind of riding you're going to be doing more often...?
I just wish this thing had a 6 speed transmission :p I always find myself looking for 6th hehe

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Sun is a make of after market sprockets, the stocker is from the dealership. They only sell the 15 tooth sprocket that came with the bike. It will last longer, but you won't get the benefits of lowering your RPMs IF that is an iterest for you.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
The easiest way to get a drop in gearing is to use a 14 tooth front sprocket and leave the rear alone. It is easier to change the front compared to the rear also. Not to mention cheaper.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That's a great point :) for some odd reason I've always found the rear sprocket easier, maybe it's because I've changed so many tires on so many different bikes already, but I think I'll do the 14t for now, after all, my bike only has 4700 miles and the chain and sprockets look brand new :D

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i went ahead and ordered a new front and rear sprocket and chain, rear sprocket and chain can be backups in case of emergency.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
IMHO, replace it all at once and keep the old change and sprocket as a back up. That way they all wear together instead of the sprocket wearing a new member of the set. If one member of the group is worn it will wear the others at a much faster rate than if you change them all out at the same time.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
The long distance boys on ADV wear out 3 front sprockets for one rear and chain. This makes sense as the ratio is nearly 3:1.(43/15) They buy 3 fronts and rotate them on a regular schedule rather than waiting till one front is worn out. This way you are not running a brand new front on an old chain. Food for thought!
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah thats what i plan on doing willy's the chain and rear sprocket on the bike now will be the backups

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

got new sprockets and chain on, btw for anyone doing this it's a 27mm nut for the front sprocket.
only broke my cotter pin for the rear axle one 1/4 drive ratchet extention and a master link clip in the process. not too shabby

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
You certainly got all $10 use out of your old sprocket Scrapper!!:evilgrin0007:
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it may have been good for another 100 yards or so, but i didnt want to push it

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
A little more wear and you could have just put a V-Belt on instead of a chain!
jj

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok update and questions time.

got it all back together and took it for a quick spin around the block to check things out and i noticed that the front sprocket area is still making a sound, just different than before.

before it was a squeaky squeal whenever i accelerated or clutched now it's more of a buzzing sound, i am thinking it might be the sound of the new chain and sprockets getting used to each other but it doesnt explain to me why after a certain speed it stops. i should check the chain guard....anyway anyone have any thought as to what this sound might be caused from?

·
Registered
507 Posts
No thoughts on the noise but your old sprocket is the most worn that I have ever seen in 42 years of cycling.

Ard

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^ do i get a trophy for most worn sprocket? i should

anyway bump.

any thoughts on the noise anyone?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i think i am going to write the noise off as new chain getting broke into new sprocket but i will be keeping a close eye on things.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
i think i am going to write the noise off as new chain getting broke into new sprocket but i will be keeping a close eye on things.
My Honda Shadow ACE had a noisy chain from new. You could really hear it if you turned the engine off while coasting downhill. I put 30000 Kilometers on it and was still good when I sold the bike.
Regards....justjeff

1 - 20 of 21 Posts