Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pricing sprockets at my local dealer today.
Parts guy said Kawasaki front sprocket has rubber imbedded in it to quiet it.
After market sprockets do not.
What's up with that? Any one care to elaborate?

Also can "O"-Ring chains, and "X"-Ring chains be used interchangeably?
I've used "O"-Ring chains before, but not the "X"-ring. Any advantage of one over the other?

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Larry31,
The EPA drive-by Noise Limit does not care Where the noise comes from!
Volume is volume. It is limited, the factories spend lots of money to build a quieter unit. And we have to pay for the research and implementation.

Just to have a bunch of 'no very little's', insist that "loud pipes save lives"!
And "helmets cause broken necks"!

I wear ear plugs while riding and sleeping. And my KLR has Stock exhaust and an aftermarket sprocket set!

Supposedly ,better original grease retention / less frictional loss.
"X"-ring vs "O"-ring, usually interchangeable with-in the same Brand! The two different master links will fit. ie, RK, DID, EK.

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
I can hear my chain buzzin' around with the Sunstar 16t.
Roughly the same but barely louder than stock.

The X rings have two sealing points as compared to a regular o ring chain.
I run a stainless roller chain due to a misorder at Kaw. Takes a little extra
cleaning but there's very little drag and coasts better.

West: I'm a lifelong "plugger" too. At almost 50 my hearing is sensitive and perfect.
One of my first jobs required them and they get used for mowing, riding, concerts,
and the biggest one of all, being around my wife. LOLOLOL

Cheapandonthecouchifshereadsthis

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I was pricing sprockets at my local dealer today.
Parts guy said Kawasaki front sprocket has rubber imbedded in it to quiet it.
After market sprockets do not.
What's up with that? Any one care to elaborate?

Also can "O"-Ring chains, and "X"-Ring chains be used interchangeably?
I've used "O"-Ring chains before, but not the "X"-ring. Any advantage of one over the other?
Parts guy was right; if the noise doesn't bother you, the "naked" aftermarket sprockets should work o.k.

Some marginal improvements may exist between various chain pin gasketing schemes, but . . . doubt they can be correlated into service life miles. YMMV!

·
Registered
285 Posts
When I replaced my chain and sprockets this helped me decide between "o" ring and "x" ring. I went with the "x" ring because it is said to seal a bit better.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chain

Thanks guys.
NHThumper: That diagram says it all. Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Try Rocky Mtn. ATV/MC. Their house brand, "Primary Drive" chain/sprockets are great. You can get the x-ring combo for $83. I run their 16 tooth front, and it's under $10. I've used their sprockets on many bikes and atv's over the years, and wouldn't hesitate to use them again. As far as noise, the KLR is noisy anyway........

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Thanks guys.
NHThumper: That diagram says it all. Thanks.
I've looked at that diagram 4 times, and some thing just isn't Quite Right!

It does not Show that the chain rollers which interface with the Sprockets need some lubricant!!!!!!!! Occasionally! 300-500 miles, imo!

The factory lube is sealed into the rivet/bushing area very well. But the 'outer diameter' of the bushing, with the 'sprocket roller' riding AROUND IT still needs some occasional lubricant! IMO only.

·
Administrator
8,275 Posts
Finally. Someone gets it.

O-Ring chains: one of the biggest hoaxes ever. "Permanently Lubed".

Tom

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I think a recent chain I purchased has, "H-rings." Eventually, the entire alphabet doubtless will be covered with various gasket schemes. (Stay on the lookout for the, "Z-Ring" chain. Then, we'll go to AA, AB, AC, etc.

The "permanent lubrication," regardless, is only available to the internal pins and the plates, roller/sprocket interface must be lubricated manually and repeatedly for maximum service life, IMHO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts