Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to prevent fuel turning to jelly in the tank/carbs during storage? How long can fuel sit before that happens?

I live in an area where the closest source of pure gasoline (no ethanol) is something like 50 miles away.

What are options? Is there any way to prevent it without an additive?

·
Registered
232 Posts
if you don't want to use seafom or sta-bil (which are fine to use), i'd turn the fuel valve off and run the bike till its out of gas, then drain the float bowl. i'd drain the tank and put it in my truck and oil the inside of the tank.

its a lot easier to use seafoam or sta-bil :thumb:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Yep. Seafoam is quick and easy. That would be my choice.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen that stuff, thanks for the recommendations. You feel that the marine stabil is better than sea foam?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've never used SeaFoam as a stabilizer so I don't know.
I use Sta-Bil in my '79 XS650. That's got a kick starter. It works.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Do you use it all the time or just storage?
Regarding Sta-bil, men say, MARINE Sta-bil is for daily use; NOT storage; while regular, plain ol' Sta-bil is for stabilizing gasoline over long periods.

Source: Marine websites; accessed through Google. Might be able to find 'em again; maybe not. Anyhow, a quote from Sta-bil to the effect mentioned was included.

Here's a quote from Sta-bil:
Q: What is the difference between STA-BIl Fuel Stabilizer, Marine Formula STA-BIL, and the new STA-BIL Ethanol Treatment products?
A: STA-BIL® Fuel Stabilizer is designed for use during STORAGE of any gasoline equipment or vehicle stored for 30 days or more, or used infrequently. It will keep gas fresh for 12 months, and help prevent corrosion, and gum and varnish formation. It is effective in all gasolines, including Ethanol blends, including E-85.
Marine Formula STA-BIL® Ethanol Treatment was designed for use at every fill up for marine engines (boats, jetskis) to protect against the damaging effects experienced when using Ethanol blended fuels -- including corrosion caused by water attraction, and fuel system plugging caused by deposit loosening.
New STA-BIL Ethanol Treatment is designed for use at every fill up for all gasoline automotive and small engines for protection against these same problems.

·
Premium Member
5,479 Posts
I bought a new Husqvarna 2-cycle line trimmer today. Since it uses a different fuel/oil ratio than my other 2-cycle stuff (50:1 vs. 40:1) I also bought a new 1-gallon gas can that has some kind of "safety spout" that took me 15 minutes just to figure out how to use.

I noticed our new HyVee gas station has ethanol-free 91-octane so that's all I'm putting in the Husqvarna.

I don't know. I always ran cheap ethanol gas in my Craftsman trimmer and I've been beating the shit out of it for the past 7 years, but figure if I'm going to have a separate gas can for the Husky and the ethanol-free is available, I might as well use it. It's pretty pricey, but it's not like a weedeater goes through a lot of gas.

The Craftsman started bogging down and won't run past half-throttle so it seems like a fuel-delivery problem. I ran some Seafoam through it with no results. That and also being heavy and vibrating like a dog shitting peach seeds sent it to the scrap heap in favor of a newer, better trimmer.

The wife said, "If it will keep you from cussing at it all the time, you can get a new weedeater."

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Ethanol is the root of all evil...
Verily.

What madness; our government SUBSIDIZES (with our tax dollars) ethanol production (the fuel is not economically self-sustainable), driving up the deficit and the national debt, creating a GREATER "carbon footprint" than refining petroleum, DENYING starving famine victims worldwide of affordable food, driving UP the price of food grain and of meat production, and HONKING UP OUR CARBURETED FUEL SYSTEMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not to mention driving up the price of motor fuel.

Why, other than being mindlessly "politically correct?"

[/RANT]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Absolutely right Damocles! BTW, I have used Startron for two seasons on the recommendation of another KLR rider and have had excellent results. I use it every other tank or so. Stored in an unheated garage all winter in Northeast without draining fuel tank or carb and zero issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts