Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR650
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyone getting fuel economy wise?
I pushed my 22 KLR base model fuel range, well thought I did.
Got 408.4km on 17.1 litres of 95 petrol. Which works out to be 4.2lts per 100km.
My bike has a couple mods.
Yoshimura RS2 exhaust
Progressive Suspension springs up front
Funnelweb air filter.
Nelson rigg tail bag with around 1kilo in it of tools and bits.
Running stock Dunlops on it. 27psi on front and 31psi rear. I am tempted to bump up the front psi as I don't usually go off road. 90/10 road and dirt. Only dirt I hit is on any back roads when passing to another sealed road.
Been riding mostly 90-100kmh the entire time with odd 50kmh passing through towns.
Possibly could get 450km out of a tank.
What is everyone else getting as would be interesting to see what other bikes are getting.

·
Premium Member
12,006 Posts
I'm not a communist, so I don't know liters to km's...and you spelled "liters" wrong.

LOL!...well, I'm obviously kidding, but could you please convert to mpg for us neandertals without us having to go to the dreaded Google? A lot of us here are U.S. citizens and are inherently lazy.
If Whitehuntsman had posted the same thing in the Australian sub-section you probably would have still seen it in (NEW).
Probably still read it.
My question is, would you still have expected him to do the conversion for you?

My estimate was 52-55mpg. I was incorrect, but not too far off. I'm glad that you aren't British, TNC. Then I'd have to guess in Imperials gallons. :)

·
Registered
2006 KLX300S--2022 KLR650--2017 Z650
64 Posts
LOL!...yes, I'm glad I'm not British too.:giggle:

And yes, I would still expect for the conversion to be done for me. What part of "lazy" did you not understand?😁

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR650
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The exhaust makes a difference for sure. Was just curious. No tyre pressures make a huge difference as well. 27F is still low I think. Happy with 31 on the rear.

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
1,201 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR650
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Whitehuntsman: Is the fuel in Oz contaminated with ethanol too? What percentage?
We have something called E10. It is 91 petrol with up to 10% ethanol.
No one puts that in thier bikes here. Usually is 95 or 98. That is straight petrol not ethanol.

·
Registered
2022 KLR650 Adventure
15 Posts
I mostly commute to work on my KLR and do a mixture of 100kph roads and stop start traffic, though lucky for me I go to work at 5am most days and the traffic is light. I've been tracking my fuel usage for the last couple of tanks. My bike is completely stock 22 KLR Adventure, I do use E10 fuel and I'm a heavy unit.

11 OCT 22 18.71L - 348KM
28 OCT 22 19.46L - 374KM
14 NOV 22 20.59 - 389KM

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR650
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I mostly commute to work on my KLR and do a mixture of 100kph roads and stop start traffic, though lucky for me I go to work at 5am most days and the traffic is light. I've been tracking my fuel usage for the last couple of tanks. My bike is completely stock 22 KLR Adventure, I do use E10 fuel and I'm a heavy unit.

11 OCT 22 18.71L - 348KM
28 OCT 22 19.46L - 374KM
14 NOV 22 20.59 - 389KM
The extra weight of the adventure model also doesn't help. Thow in the wind resistance of the light bars. All adds up. For a heavier bike not too bad. Definitely 400km on a full tank.
What tyre pressure are you running?
Traffic is the worst with a big big, smaller little bikes are fun to lane split.

·
Registered
2022 KLR650 Adventure
15 Posts
The extra weight of the adventure model also doesn't help. Thow in the wind resistance of the light bars. All adds up. For a heavier bike not too bad. Definitely 400km on a full tank.
What tyre pressure are you running?
Traffic is the worst with a big big, smaller little bikes are fun to lane split.
I'm a new rider so the wind on the motorway has been kinda terrifying but I am getting used to it. I will probably lane split a bit more once I have more experience and i replace the panniers with a box, the OEM ones are so wide. I generally feel pretty comfortable filtering on it but sometimes the Brisbane lanes are so tight its not possible. I'll get back to you on the pressure I really should be checking that :|

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR650
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The panniers are very big. It is good value though for the bike. Can always sell them and make a profit. Lot of people go for the milk crate. Very solid rear rack on it. It takes time to adjust to the weight and depending on fuel load affects the handling. Tyres, oil and coolant are the 3 I check before riding anywhere. Country roads in nsw are open and wide so need a solid reliable bike that will always get home.

·
Registered
2016 KLR650 Camo, Dirtracks, EM Doo,T-Bob, Giant Loop bags, rally dash, Cyclops LED, Madd Risers
220 Posts
It would seem the EFI gets about 5-6 more mpg than the carbureted. That’s 39-47 kpl for the boys across the pond😉. +1 for the Gen 3

1 - 20 of 32 Posts