Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
2006 KLX300S--2022 KLR650--2017 Z650
64 Posts
It would seem the EFI gets about 5-6 more mpg than the carbureted. That’s 39-47 kpl for the boys across the pond😉. +1 for the Gen 3
Liters or gallons joking aside, I find this statement interesting. I've had 4 carbed KLR600/650's over time with all of them tweaked at the exhaust, airbox, and jetting. On the two later 650's, I got as high as 63 mpg with easy cruising on dirt and 2-track. I'd be a little surprised to see that much more on the FI models as far as KLR's go. I could almost bet real money that I could count on 55 mpg during normal use. Now to clarify I don't consider normal to be sustained 75-80 mph highway or thrashing for many miles in deep, sandy, stream beds, but even there I don't think an FI model will get much different mileage compared to a well jetted carbed KLR. I don't believe FI on most motorcycles does as much for mileage improvement as it does or is required for emissions.

· Registered
2016 KLR650 Camo, Dirtracks, EM Doo,T-Bob, Giant Loop bags, rally dash, Cyclops LED, Madd Risers
247 Posts
Liters or gallons joking aside, I find this statement interesting. I've had 4 carbed KLR600/650's over time with all of them tweaked at the exhaust, airbox, and jetting. On the two later 650's, I got as high as 63 mpg with easy cruising on dirt and 2-track. I'd be a little surprised to see that much more on the FI models as far as KLR's go. I could almost bet real money that I could count on 55 mpg during normal use. Now to clarify I don't consider normal to be sustained 75-80 mph highway or thrashing for many miles in deep, sandy, stream beds, but even there I don't think an FI model will get much different mileage compared to a well jetted carbed KLR. I don't believe FI on most motorcycles does as much for mileage improvement as it does or is required for emissions.
I’m waiting for the colder month of January to explore and possibly re-jet my carb. The PO installed a Yoshi RS-2, but I have no idea if he addressed the carb. It was a trade in with no service records. I’ve pulled the snorkel, and adjusted the low speed jet. No other mods to carb.
I’ve averaged between 48 mpg (14-43 sprockets) and 53 (16-43 sprockets), recorded at every fill up. Allot of that at 75 mph, but a couple of tanks were dirt roads etc, and not much difference on the mpg .
Do you think that changing to the Klx jet system would up the mileage, or drilling the air box? Or is it my right wrist that’s dragging the mileage down?
Any other mods you’ve done that might be the difference?

· Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR650
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
individual mileage is all over the place due to all the usual variables but anecdotal evidence suggests that any difference between the 2022 KLR and previous carbureted KLR's is minimal for both power and mileage......I'm with TNC on this one.

Dave
I agree. A properly tuned carby is very good on fuel economy and can run with the FI everyday of the week. It also depends on how you ride. Riding hard no bike will get good fuel economy regardless of FI or carby. Riding sensible and take it easy with the thottle any bike will return good fuel economy. Will disagree a little from 1st gen to FI now, the power gains and torque have been tweaked. Plus add on mods a FI can get some more usable power as well.

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,221 Posts
I’m waiting for the colder month of January to explore and possibly re-jet my carb. The PO installed a Yoshi RS-2, but I have no idea if he addressed the carb. It was a trade in with no service records. I’ve pulled the snorkel, and adjusted the low speed jet. No other mods to carb.
I’ve averaged between 48 mpg (14-43 sprockets) and 53 (16-43 sprockets), recorded at every fill up. Allot of that at 75 mph, but a couple of tanks were dirt roads etc, and not much difference on the mpg .
Do you think that changing to the Klx jet system would up the mileage, or drilling the air box? Or is it my right wrist that’s dragging the mileage down?
Any other mods you’ve done that might be the difference?
Your mileage seems about right. I wouldn’t dive into the carb unless you really want to.
If your snorkel isn’t removed, doing so may squeak you a bit more mpg.

Reactions: pdwestman

· Registered
2016 KLR650 Camo, Dirtracks, EM Doo,T-Bob, Giant Loop bags, rally dash, Cyclops LED, Madd Risers
247 Posts
Your mileage seems about right. I wouldn’t dive into the carb unless you really want to.
If your snorkel isn’t removed, doing so may squeak you a bit more mpg.
Snorkel is removed.

I should’ve said that “my mileage” and his reported mileage were about 5-6 mpg off. Not in general😉

· Premium Member
KLRs: 2013, 2005, 1998; 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
2,744 Posts
Removing the snorkel or drilling the airbox makes no difference in fuel mileage. If you are cruising at highway speed or putzing around back roads, you are not putting enough load on the engine to suck enough air through the airbox to affect power or mileage at all. The only regime where those mods make a difference is full load, I.e., throttle wide open and high RPM. And then you won’t be getting good fuel mileage.

· Registered
2022 KLR650 Adventure
15 Posts
I found some old receipts where i've tracked 2465km out of the 3353km on the bike so far,

03 AUG 22 16.88 - 314KM ULP
19 AUG 22 17.64 - 337KM E10
02 SEP 22 18.79L - 339KM E10
27 SEP 22 18.87L - 364KM E10
11 OCT 22 18.71L - 348KM E10
28 OCT 22 19.46L - 374KM E10
14 NOV 22 20.59 - 389KM E10

I've been intrepidly pushing beyond the flashing empty light to see how far it can get but I don't think i'd push beyond 400km considering at last fill I had 2.4L left in the tank. It would be interesting to see what people get using the better fuels and ppl that do mostly highway riding, I generally only get on the motorway for the trip home when it will save me time. The bike seems to be revving so high at 100kph I would assume its using more fuel then a sedate cruise at 60-70kph with a couple of traffic light stops.

· Premium Member
4,838 Posts
I agree. A properly tuned carby is very good on fuel economy and can run with the FI everyday of the week. It also depends on how you ride. Riding hard no bike will get good fuel economy regardless of FI or carby. Riding sensible and take it easy with the thottle any bike will return good fuel economy. Will disagree a little from 1st gen to FI now, the power gains and torque have been tweaked. Plus add on mods a FI can get some more usable power as well.
Gen1 to Gen2 (1987 - 2018) are all the same regarding power and I'd suggest the 2022 is substantially the same as well. I've not seen back to back dynos but I'd be shocked if there was more than a 1hp difference......and the carbureted bikes are easily tweeked as well. Even if they did make a couple hp more, there wouldn't be any performance advantage due to the excess weight but that's a different topic. There is a bigger chance that there is a measurable mileage advantage in the 2022's but I haven't seen anything wild there either - as I said; direct comparisons are very difficult due to all the variables. Honestly I think we are splitting hairs - now if you go ride my 2001 with the 685, jetting, airbox mods, Unifilter, Gen2 header and LeoVince silencer, THEN you'd notice a big difference between it and any year stock KLR. Of course, the fact it weighs 354lbs (wet, no fuel) certainly helps.

Cheers,
Dave

· Registered
'08 KLR
412 Posts
It would seem the EFI gets about 5-6 more mpg than the carbureted. That’s 39-47 kpl for the boys across the pond😉. +1 for the Gen 3
I don't know about that the numbers listed by Beld:
11 OCT 22 18.71L - 348KM
28 OCT 22 19.46L - 374KM
14 NOV 22 20.59 - 389KM
work out to 43.8 mpg, 45.2 mpg, and 44.4 mpg respectively. I have to abuse my bike at 70 mph+ into a strong headwind to get numbers that low. I typically get 50+ mpg on my '08, and that's with the a/f ratio showing too rich. I think the biggest problem with carb'ed KLRs is that we all install a slip-on, drill the slide and either shim the needle or install a KLX/Dyno jet needle and bigger jets, trying to wring every last fraction of a horsepower out of them. Those mods are the friend of horsepower, but they're the enemy of fuel efficiency. I'm guessing that guys who are adding slip-ons and remapping or chipping FI KLRs for more power are seeing the same drop in mpg (or kpl).

· Premium Member
4,838 Posts
I don't know about that the numbers listed by Beld:

work out to 43.8 mpg, 45.2 mpg, and 44.4 mpg respectively. I have to abuse my bike at 70 mph+ into a strong headwind to get numbers that low. I typically get 50+ mpg on my '08, and that's with the a/f ratio showing too rich. I think the biggest problem with carb'ed KLRs is that we all install a slip-on, drill the slide and either shim the needle or install a KLX/Dyno jet needle and bigger jets, trying to wring every last fraction of a horsepower out of them. Those mods are the friend of horsepower, but they're the enemy of fuel efficiency. I'm guessing that guys who are adding slip-ons and remapping or chipping FI KLRs for more power are seeing the same drop in mpg (or kpl).
Yep, as I said, I am very skeptical of any 5-6mpg gain.......I could see maybe 1-2. Good point on the jetting; most of us carb'd guys richen the jetting from the factory lean part throttle position to help power which has a negative effect on mileage. That said, I don't think it's a great idea to run the engine too lean just to glean a few mpg's.... I suspect the factory EFI setup also runs leaner than ideal for the same reason.

Dave

· Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR650
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks for that and all information. From the sounds of it my bike is getting excellent fuel economy compared to those numbers. The weight saving of removing the heavy exhaust, better free flowing exhaust, nicer air filter and tyre pressures up are factors that help with fuel economy then.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts