Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still sitting on the fence , waiting to buy a new KLR. I keep hearing rumors that a fuel injected KLR is "just round the corner" Does anyone out there have any input on this? It would chap my old hide to buy a new carbureted KLR and have the injected model come out two weeks later! ( lots of high- altitude trips planned) or am I worried for nothing?

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
I don't see them making any major changes unless they re-design the entire bike. I don't see them doing that, either. I think the day they don't sell enough of them to make a profit, the KLR will die pretty much unchanged.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
i agree with planalp, bike has been almost unchanged for close to 30 yrs. i would hate to have a fuel injected one personally. i dont think they will make one.

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
Kawasaki must protect the equity of the widows and orphans who have their life savings invested in the company!

Thus, I can see no responsible motivation to invest the capital required to fuel-inject the KLR650; research, development, logistical support, etc., would hardly be funded by the enterprise, IMHO. Further, FI would doubtless drive up the price point, I'd imagine, perhaps trimming sales/profitability/market share.

I think I've mentioned some economic facts of life. I regret any disappointment in the absence of FI, but . . . FI is hardly a cure-all and panacea. I acknowledge the advantages of FI, but . . . a carburetor can provide an optimum air/fuel ratio to the engine most of the time.

If you want a KLR650, I'd recommend you buy it now, in contrast to waiting for fuel injection. Could be a long wait, unless a government mandate awaits, an unlikely possibility, IMHO.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Different subject. I've posted about it before, height, rider vs KLR. I've decided on a Sargeant seat -2". And a short rear shock -1" = 31 1/2" seat height. Me with 30" inseam, this should work out about right? Would love some feedback on my plans, thanks

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
You should be pretty darn close to being able to flat foot with that config. When I bought my bike (from the short original owner) he had 1 1/2 inch lowering links on it and a Corbin Dual Platform seat (2" drop as well I think?). I could flat foot it easily, even had my knees bent a little bit... And I only have a 32" inseam.

I would try just the seat first and see how you like it. Might be enough to suit your needs :).

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would try to avoid the lowering links if you can. My jeans are 29" inseam and I got a the low Sargent seat. I can't flat foot with both feet but it's not quite tip toe either. If I need to, I lean the bike a tiny bit to one side and let that foot down flat.

The lowering links change the way the suspension works and if you use them you are supposed to lower the front forks by the same amount.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thump on I will, but I got to be able to tootsie dirt in the rough stuff! You have a 2" advantage, I think 31.1/2 is about my max height, I will semi flatfoot solo on the bike, maybe full flatfoot with full touring gear, aprox 100LB extra. Can't wait to share pics of first trip, this Spring

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
I would try to avoid the lowering links if you can. My jeans are 29" inseam and I got a the low Sargent seat. I can't flat foot with both feet but it's not quite tip toe either. If I need to, I lean the bike a tiny bit to one side and let that foot down flat.

The lowering links change the way the suspension works and if you use them you are supposed to lower the front forks by the same amount.
Yup, he was talking about a shorter shock. I just mentioned the links because my bike came with them. I didn't like them either, plus I was dragging pegs all the time when cornering with them on. It's funny actually, I ended up raising it to stock, getting rid of the Corbin lowered seat and putting on a wider Seat Concepts kit and even a little taller tire! Lol, I'm on my tippy toes now and usually stop with one foot down like you. Handles great though and the only time it gives me grief is when I'm trying to back it up on a loose surface... Then it's embarrassing! :ashamed0001:

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Just wanted to make a comment on the fuel injection.....Tightening Federal emmission regs will eventually force Kawi into fuel injection and/or other changes to the engine. It will be a case of comply or die. The way the carbs are set from the factory to meet emission regs should be the warning to us. Kawi is living on old technology and barely meeting the regs. Reminds me of the engine changes from the mid 70s to the introduction of FI in the late 80s in the car industry. FI is in the future, You can count on it.
Regard....justjeff

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
Just wanted to make a comment on the fuel injection.....Tightening Federal emmission regs will eventually force Kawi into fuel injection and/or other changes to the engine. It will be a case of comply or die. The way the carbs are set from the factory to meet emission regs should be the warning to us. Kawi is living on old technology and barely meeting the regs. Reminds me of the engine changes from the mid 70s to the introduction of FI in the late 80s in the car industry. FI is in the future, You can count on it.
Regard....justjeff
As a Canadian, you wouldn't understand, justjeff, but . . .

As planalp posted above, our US President has assured the American people, "If you have a carburetor, and you like it, you can keep it. Period. No matter what."

If we can't trust the word of our own President, then . . .

:)

-----------------

I don't know how close the as-built carbureted KLR650s run to the emissions limits. Obviously, other means besides fuel injection exist to comply with current requirements. For example, California models, still carbureted, have met the stringent C.A.R.B. standards; was a catalytic converter was added to '08 and later models? Some Rube Goldberg "Californication" plumbing exists to reduce emissions, I understand.

Conceivably, a positive crankcase ventilation system, not unlike that on both fuel-injected and on carbureted automobiles, could be instituted.

Finally, however, fuel injection may indeed afford the most economical and practicable path to compliance with future emissions regulations. If so, then your prediction of fuel-injected KLR650s may certainly come to pass.

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
BTW the CV carb used in the KLR is basically self adjusting for altitude; it isn't a problem.

I've had many FI bikes and I'm happy my KLR's have carbs

Dave

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
klrlrk's announcement above is the only one I've seen of the advent of factory fuel injection on KLR650s.

While aware of fuel injection advantages, I'd wonder at Kawasaki's decision to add expense to the KLR650. Price point, market share, profitability all would seem to favor production changing only bold new graphics in the 2017 model, seems to me.

Yet, I'm not responsible for the stockholders' (widows and orphans) equity in Kawasaki Heavy Industries (they made some submarines during World War II, BTW, including a novel underwater aircraft carrier planned for attacking New York City and/or the Panama Canal). Perhaps KLR650 fuel injection will enhance the wealth of the owners; the firm doubtless has the technical capacity for a fuel injection initiative.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts