Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so first thread 'disappeared' into thin air. I'll try again.
I cleaned-out the gas receipts from my 'overly thick' wallet, last week.
I may be missing a few fill-ups. But I had 24 receipts, with numbers recorded, plus wife and I's Utah trip.

I dug back into my oil pressure thread to add mileage and mpg figures from our spring Utah trip to my totals.

......1011... miles Utah trip,about 17.275 gallons, 58.5250 MPG. From thread. With Soft Saddlebags.
......4434.4 miles to 11/29/14,,,,, 78.390 gallons, 56.5684 MPG. From receipts.
......5445.4 miles------------------ 95.665 gallons, 56.9215 MPG. Average, for most of the year.
How much was spent, you may ask? I don't know, I don't care, I had fun!!

Worst fuel mileage, was 1st tank on Utah trip. I remember about 42mpg. Wife has those receipts!
Probably was a mix of Last Autumns 'OLD Gas' and some Fresh Fuel.

Worst fuel mileage, from my receipts.-----------236.3 miles---4.782 gal---49.415mpg. 11/29/2014
Which was the just the Last Fill-up. October-November gas.

Best fuel mileage, in & out of Yellowstone N.P.-222.4 miles---3.006 gal--- 73.985mpg. 7/04/2014

Ouray, CO. trip in August------------------------722.0 miles---12.181 gal-- 59.273mpg. 8/17-20/2014
Included rugged mountain passes and mixed roads in-between. Included several 'spirited trips' up or down Red Mountain Pass, between Ouray and Silverton.
I will say, maybe SW Colorado might have better fuel quality than Wyoming. On Average??
Trailered down and back.

Longest Tank Full---------------------------------289.1 miles---5.601 gal----51.615mpg. In July or August

I must say the only trip with saddlebags, was with the wife. Utah, Idaho and back.

Also, I'm riding the 'light' Gen1 model. 1987 KL650-A1, 74,623 miles and counting.
And I probably weigh about 165-175lbs in full gear, with a 6-8lb butt bag! But I do have an 'over-stuffed, aero-dynamic' Moose number plate bag on my windshield! Carrying my 2 spare inner tubes.

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
Okay, everybody watch this thread! If it disappears again I'm calling the cops! :)

That is excellent mileage, I think I average around 50 on my gen 2. I only figured it out a few times though. My Wing is around 35 ridden hard, but I think my carbs are a little out on that one.

·
Administrator
8,300 Posts
I don't know how you do it, Paul, except to say that if you stand sideways and stick out your tongue, you look like a zipper. That must have something to do with it. And your bike is nice and light, too.

I use Fuelly to record my fuel mileage because it's handy, my handwriting is illegible, and my record-keeping is horrible.

Here's from my dear departed '08, may she forever rest in peace:
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/kawasaki/klr_650/2008/tomschmitz/74605

And this is from Black Betty:
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/kawasaki/klr_650/2009/tomschmitz/183201

As you can see, I get in the low forties. I stand 4.2 cubits tall and weigh in at about 18 stone. The bike always has some sort of bags on it, carrying camping gear, tools and spares. I don't ride the bike much around town; if it leaves the driveway it's usually gone for at least a few days. A lot of the time it's running at 70-75mph.

Tom

·
Registered
285 Posts
Nope, that's a different thread. pdwestman had started one a couple of days ago with the above info, I replied, and then it vanished into thin air. I suspect aliens...
Interesting. That is the second abduction I am aware of this week. A few days ago somebody posted a question (in Wrenching) about a thermostat part number. I replied and now, that too, has vanished.

Oops. Sorry, I don't mean to highjack this thread. Carry on.

·
Premium Member
6,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Interesting. That is the second abduction I am aware of this week. A few days ago somebody posted a question (in Wrenching) about a thermostat part number. I replied and now, that too, has vanished.

Oops. Sorry, I don't mean to highjack this thread. Carry on.
I guess we'll have to blame these anomalies on 'Gremlins' or aliens or a Black Hole or something. Maybe, 'Homeland Security'.

Anyways,
When I rode my Stone Stock, 3000mile old, '87 to Monterey, CA. for the Laguna Seca GP back in April 1988, at speeds of 75-90 MPH from Wendover, UT and back, it got about 42 MPG. With a 18"x18"X36" Track Pack bag on the back. And used some Oil!
Maybe, 750cc in 1600 miles of Golden Spectro 20W50. I switched back to the Kawasaki 20W50 oil after that ride. But, I don't think it was caused by the oil, now.

I'd gotten as low as 35-36mpg, twice in extreme head winds, prior to 2010. (Before Thermo-Bob and oil flow modifications)

I used to get 46-52 mpg average, for most of this bikes life. 0-63,944 miles, that is the mileage my oil flow modifications started. Fall and Winter of 2012/2013.
During the course of testing I had to replace a cracked header pipe, with 2009 header and heat shield. Which required Richer pilot jet and richer needle. (the 22 cent mod.)
I had had 2, 1"holes in the top of the air box for 10+ years and a 142 main jet for 20+ years. I live at 5347 ft. The bike seems to run 'great' from 4000-13,800 feet, currently.

·
Premium Member
6,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I don't know how you do it, Paul, except to say that if you stand sideways and stick out your tongue, you look like a zipper. That must have something to do with it.

As you can see, I get in the low forties. I stand 4.2 cubits tall and weigh in at about 18 stone.
Tom
Tom,
I really wouldn't of guessed you to be 'crowding' 250lbs. But yeah, your a little taller than I am. 6'1&1/2" vs 5'11". But my 36" legs really help in the rough stuff!

Guess that does make me 'Low Profile' on the bike! With-out tucking down!
Never thought about that.

Just had a friend measure my 'width' and 'breadth'. 18"x9"! Of course, that's with-out my riding jacket!

He said,"Stick out your tongue!, Yeap, that'll do it."!

ps, But why does my neck still get 'sore' in the wind?

·
Registered
341 Posts
My single-cylinder KLR routinely gets 55 MPG; my 4-cylinder Concours gets 45 MPG, but takes premium instead of regular. My wife's 4-cylinder Focus gets 32 MPG (but the dash read out says 38 MPG...stupid dash read out!)

Gas hereabouts was $2.39/gallon today for regular, and expected to fall below $2.00 by New Year's.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Gas milage

Not one to gripe, but (here-goes) .
Ticks me off that gas prices go down just as my riding season goes into winter.

My average is 54.3 mpg (Reg. Gas) Sept. thru. end of Nov.
2011 KLR with about 11,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
6,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
larry31,
54.3 MPG! That is a pretty respectable average for any year KLR650.
How do you ride? 45-60 mph, most of the time?
What kind of modifications to fuel/air system have you done, if any?
What tires and what pressure? How much do you weigh?
I'll just guess, that you keep the drive chain on the 'loose end' of specs and well lubed!

·
Premium Member
6,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, Would you just look at That! About 11 or 12 threads Below this One ,Now! At least in the 'KLR and Other Model Discussion'.

The First Edition of This Thread! That 'evaporated' into thin air for awhile.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Gas MPG

larry31,
54.3 MPG! That is a pretty respectable average for any year KLR650.
How do you ride? 45-60 mph, most of the time?
What kind of modifications to fuel/air system have you done, if any?
What tires and what pressure? How much do you weigh?
I'll just guess, that you keep the drive chain on the 'loose end' of specs and well lubed!
45 - 60 mph "typical. Unless I'm doing major highway. Then 65 - 75 mph.

No mod's at all. ( Stock carb, etc. ) I do have a home made wind screen..
See here.. http://www.powers31.info/KLR_Windshield.pdf
More on my mod's... http://www.powers31.info/2011_KLR650.htm

OEM chain w/ adjustment as per "the-Book".
Lube normally after longer rides. ( 100 - 200 miles. )
Shorter rides, I may do every 2 or 3 trips, If I think of it.

Front tire- Mitas E-07 (just put on ~ 100 miles)
Front was a Duro HF-903 "Wore out in under 3,000 miles???"
The Rear is a Duro with over 5,000 miles, and still lot's of thread left.? (Go-Figure?? )
Pressure: F = 24 psi R = 28 psi

I'm around 200 lbs with est'd . 10 - 15 lbs clothing, depending on outside temp.
And est'd 10 - 20 lbs "stuff in tail bag.

AND..... That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

·
Administrator
8,300 Posts
Well, Would you just look at That! About 11 or 12 threads Below this One ,Now! At least in the 'KLR and Other Model Discussion'.

UKbri's Thermostat thread is back, too, with NH Thumper's response.

Weird.

Tom

·
Premium Member
6,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
45 - 60 mph "typical. Unless I'm doing major highway. Then 65 - 75 mph.
No mod's at all.

Front tire- Mitas E-07 (just put on ~ 100 miles)
Front was a Duro HF-903 "Wore out in under 3,000 miles???"
The Rear is a Duro with over 5,000 miles, and still lot's of thread left.? (Go-Figure?? )
Pressure: F = 24 psi R = 28 psi

AND..... That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!
larry31,
I'll suggest that you raise your front tire pressure. "Wore out in under 3,000miles".
Try at Least 30 psi.
I find that they wear longer and cup less. It's Skinnier than the Rear, needs more Air! Especially if we are 'good' with the Front Brake.

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts

Hmmm... What sorcery is this? Server hijinx methinks!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Front Tire Press.

larry31,
I'll suggest that you raise your front tire pressure. "Wore out in under 3,000miles".
Try at Least 30 psi.
I find that they wear longer and cup less. It's Skinnier than the Rear, needs more Air! Especially if we are 'good' with the Front Brake.
I am running close to 30 psi in my new front.

However, the original tire lasted around 4,000 miles, and I was running only 21 psi in it. It just wore down, nice and smooth.
The Duro that replaced it, was cupped real bad at just under 2,000 mi. I stretched it for remaining 1,000 by cranking up the pressure over 25psi.

I had mounted a new Kenda K-270, but it made my front bounce so bad, I took it off and remounted the Duro, while I was trying to get the "on-Line" outfit to take it back. ( They eventually did refund my money.)
In the mean while, I bought a second Kenda K-270 from my local dealer. It too made my front bounce bad as well. They took it back and I bought the Mitas E-07 from them. It's on there now, and runs smooth. What little dirt I got a chance to go on, before winter storage, it went ok. We'll see this spring how it is off road.

Guess I'm not going to use Kenda's!
2 tires doing same thing from 2 different sources. Both were mfd. in 2014 BTW.
Both took around 3oz's to balance. The Mitas only took 2oz's to balance.

Still strange the Duro's wore so different. Both front & rear were put on same time. Back is still on and shows very little wear. The front just cupped real bad, and wore down quick. It didn't seem to be out of balance, or do any "funny" things while going down the road.
I had my local dealer re-check my steering heads, and front end. Every thing looked good. They even checked the front clamps.
At least I got a lot of experience changing tires!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hello guys

I have a fuel consumption question. I don't know if anyone will see it on this old thread.

I used to get about 52.8 MPG from my 2017 KLR650 doing suburban commuting to work and back. My new 2018 KLR650 only got 47.9 MPG doing the same thing. The bike has done about 342 miles.

Is there anything that may be causing extra fuel use. I am riding it the same, on the same rout. The old bike pretty much never used that much fuel unless I was maintaining 5000+rpm for extended periods.

The chain is slightly tighter than Paul Westman's suggested tension of the chain just touching the Chain guide with light pressure. The chain goes to about 0.19 of an inch (5mm in my talk) from the guide. It is still probably within the tolerance suggested by Kawasaki.

Does any one have any ideas or advice.?

·
Registered
10 Posts
How many miles were on the '17, and did it have any modifications? It could just be that your new bike has not broken in yet. A couple of tank fills may show improvement.

·
Premium Member
6,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll suggest to loose the drive chain that last little bit & set your tire pressures to 32 psi Front & 30 psi Rear, if you are running lower than that.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts