Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks for your replies Paul and Art.

I apologize for my late reply. I was interstate last weekend, and then I forgot to reply...

Paul, I have done as you suggested, I will let you know if there is an improvement in MPG.

Art, I got the MY17 brand new. It got the type of fuel economy I described from the first full tank of fuel. The MY18 was also brand new. It is a insurance new for old replacement bike for a written off bike.

This one may improve as you said

One interesting thing; the bike was playing up early this week. After filling the fuel tank, the bike sat idle for five days, because I was interstate. I started it on Tuesday morning and headed off to work. everything was fine, until I had traveled about three or four miles. The bike, then acted as if it was running out of petrol. The engine stopped so I pulled over.

I could not see anything wrong. The fuel tap was switched to on. I opened the fuel cap to see if there was a vacuum in the tank. The choke was operating correctly.

The bike would not start again for about five minutes. Then it was fine, for anther three miles or so, and then seemed to run out of fuel again, The same thing happened another three times on the way to work. It seemed as if it was running out of petrol every two or three miles.

At work, I had a look at the bike. I noticed the vacuum hose to the fuel tap was kinked. I straightened the hose and the problem was solved. The bike had only done about 380 miles. I don't know how the hose got kinked. I assume it was kinked a little from the factory. Perhaps it moved a little bit each time the bike heated and cooled.

Anyway, do you think a slightly kinked vacuum hose could effect fuel economy?

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Huh,
"Anyway, do you think a slightly kinked vacuum hose could effect fuel economy?" No, I don't think that it could possibly Increase fuel consumption.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I bought a new 2017 a couple years back. I calculated just over 57 miles per gallon with the bike completely stock.
I installed a KLX needle with the shim and main jet and opened the idle mixture screw to 2 turns and removed the snorkel.
I calculated just over 56 miles per gallon on the next few tanks. So no real change.
Most of my riding was around town some gravel back roads and a few short highway trips at max 60MPH.
I'm in Canada so I am using imperial gallons to calculate mileage. There are 4.55 litres in an imperial gallon
and 3.78 litres in a US gallon. So 57 miles on an imperial gallon would equal 47.4 miles on a US gallon.

Terry

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Good thread to have going. I tracked the gas at first and was above 50 mpg. I will have to start watching it again. This is a great excuse to take her out for a mildly long run on the highway!

·
Registered
238 Posts
(timberfoot) I feel your pain on the kinked vac hose, as I kinked mine after front crash bars I put on, drove me nuts, went about 45 miles with wind, no problems, then 45 back with headwind and died on me 4 or 5 times on way back. After help from this forum, found the problem and deleted it. Being 1/4 mile from the gulf coast this winter, It started to seem as it was out of fuel at around 145 miles, got it to gas station, and with help from this forum, I need to add a little dry gas at every fill up, as its nasty humid hear, haven't had a problem since.
( Back on topic. ) I get crap for fuel mpg's, around 42 seems no matter what. Its a 2018 with 17 front sprocket, im 168lbs and have crash bars and paniers on it. It got the same stock, and I drive it nice. I don't think I could join the 300 mile club coasting down a 300 mile hill.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hello Lineman1234

I used to routinely 250 miles before I had to switch to reserve. Nobody is getting 300 miles from a standard size tank...

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hello Lineman1234

I used to routinely 250 miles before I had to switch to reserve. Nobody is getting 300 miles from a standard size tank...
In past years I have ridden over 300 miles several times on the stock fuel tank. And it had even lost a little capacity due to internal sealant.
It only takes 52 mpg & 5.8 gallons to ride 300 miles. I have burned 5.928 gallons out of my stock tank! Had to lay it down on LH side 4 times & point the wheels Up-hill to get the last couple carburetor bowlfuls tho. :)

I usually average 46 - 54 mpg, but have achieved over 70mpg at 6000+ ft altitudes in Yellowstone National Park (40mph max limit), following my wife who follows the motorhomes & just enjoys the scenery.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Good to know. I've never quite figured out how much my stock tank can hold. The maximum I put in was 5.1 gallons after 297 miles. That was soon after getting my endorsement when I thought 45mph was ample fast. Here are more recent fuel mileage numbers:

Stock, with soft saddle bags, 16t sprocket 54 to 57 mpg
KLX needle, 142 jet, 2nd groove, no washer, no snorkel: 48, 50, 49, 50, 48, 51, 50 (avg 49.4 mpg)
KLX needle, 140 jet, 2nd groove, 1 washer, no snorkel: 49, 49, 50, 49, 53, 48, 51, 51 (avg 50.0 mpg)
Same, opened airbox (3 1" holes), no saddle bags: 51, 52, 53, 53, 51, 52, 51 (avg 51.9 mpg)
With the airbox now open, I'll likely go back to the 142 jet. I am now working from home, so it will be a while before I get reliable mpg numbers again.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hmmm,

I have just rechecked my maths. On my old bike I expected around 415 kilometers before I switched to reserve. I switched to reserve at about 19 litres It is probably less than 19 liters. I have never been at a petrol station at the same time as I switched it to reserve. I have always ridden some kilometres before I topped up.

The standard tanks holds 22 liters 19 litres to travel 415 kilometres,

So, to de-metric that; 257 mile on 5 gallons. This is 51.4 miles/Gallon. This equals very close to 300 miles from a standard tank. So, if you include the reserve portion of the tank, then, PDwestman, is correct, 300 miles is very achievable.
I would say I have certainly achieved it, or would have if I didn't top up. I have got 330 plus kilometers from the 19 liters of the main tank, that would equal about 310 miles from the 5.8 standard tank

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have just done a little maths using and online fuel economy converter. I used to average about 4.45 to 4.5 litres to travel 100 kilometres. this is about 52.2 to 52.8 m/g. which is the 300 mile per tank mark. This was my average.

I was obviously not including the reserve in my statement that "no one can get 300 miles from a standard tank".

I never have the courage to ride much past the reserve...

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The manual OFF fuel valves which too many owners tend to get talked into installing have a VERY short ON Stand pipe inside the tank.
Which Leaves a Very Short Reserve fuel supply! I've read of a mere 10 - 20 miles of Reserve.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hello
I will add an update to above comments.Sorry for the delay eamartin. I did not post an update because there was no real change for several thousand kilometres. However, the fuel economy seems to have settled to be similar to my old bike now. As predicted by Art W.

I reckon the bike had traveled about 8000km before it I started to get back to my old MPG., or KPL in my language.

My bike has been using about 4.45 - 4.6 litres/100km. Which, if anyone is interested in doing the maths, is about 300 miles per tank, in theory. I will never deliberately test that theory. The furthest I have ever traveled on one tank of fuel is 450 km, (279 miles) that was pushing it enough for me.

Any way, that is my update, I appologise for the lateness.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got a 2008 KLR with 10,000 miles on it for Christmas. I'm on the third full tank. I got a little over 36 MPG on the first tank and a little over 38 on the 2nd. I added some Seafoam to this tank. I'm surprised at the mileage, my Harley does that good!! I'm going to burn a few tanks before I get concerned, it's been sitting a while...

·
Registered
252 Posts
My 2017 gets around 46 miles per gallon mostly paved back road and gravel.
Other than a MCP jet kit and a 16 tooth front sprocket its stock.
Keep a close eye on the oil level on your 2008!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I got a 2008 KLR with 10,000 miles on it for Christmas. I'm on the third full tank. I got a little over 36 MPG on the first tank and a little over 38 on the 2nd. I added some Seafoam to this tank. I'm surprised at the mileage, my Harley does that good!! I'm going to burn a few tanks before I get concerned, it's been sitting a while...
That's awful. You are riding like a mad man or something is wrong with your setup.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Make sure that the chain is not too tight. On the KLR, the chain will tighten when you load the suspension and even shops get that wrong sometimes. To check, with the bike on the side or center stand, lift the lower chain run UP to just touch the rear tip of the rubber underslider.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Make sure that the chain is not too tight. On the KLR, the chain will tighten when you load the suspension and even shops get that wrong sometimes. To check, with the bike on the side or center stand, lift the upper run of the chain towards the swingarm. It should touch the plastic chainguard, but not the swingarm itself.
Thanks. I'll check it out.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Your choke (enricher) closing fully?

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Welcome to the forum.
Make sure that the chain is not too tight. On the KLR, the chain will tighten when you load the suspension and even shops get that wrong sometimes. To check, with the bike on the side or center stand, lift the upper run of the chain towards the swingarm. It should touch the plastic chainguard, but not the swingarm itself.
chrider,
You need to make a EDIT. You lift the LOWER chain run UP to just touch the rear tip of the rubber underslider.

Pipewizard,
If the chain can't touch the rubber, when one sets on the bike, the chain goes 'bow-string' tight. Which consumes HP.

Check tire pressures also. I recommend a minimum of 32 F / 30 R psi for highway usage.

And as others have suggested, check your engine oil level at least 3 times daily!

21 - 40 of 49 Posts