Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2012 KLR a couple of weeks ago and want to ad some fuel stabilizer to the tank after I finish burning up the gas that came in the tank. I plan on using pure gas, but would still like to use a fuel stabilizer to keep it as fresh as possible and to help prevent startup issues next spring if I don't get around to burning all of the gas up when I refill my tank. I went to AutoZone today and I see that there are various brands? Does anyone know which one is the best (Sta-bil, Seafoam, Lucus, etc.)? I see that even Sta-bil comes in various flavors now (storage, 360 performance, 360 marine)? What is the difference between the Sta-bil products? I only mention Sta-bil because it was the one that came to mind from all of the advertisements, but like I said, I am wondering which one is the best? Is one more geared toward motorcycle? Is there any better products available online or at the motorcycle shop? Thanks for all comments back.

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
I use Sta-bil in my boat, generator, KLR's and cars over the winter - I doubt it matters much to be honest. I've heard good things about Seafoam too but haven't used it.

Dave

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have used Seafoam for years. Not only does it stabilize the fuel, it cleans the fuel system and top end while in use. I use it in my lawn equipment and generator in my toy hauler as well as in my bikes. My old Honda DS sat for 6 months with Seafoam in the gas. The bike started right up. I have never had any starting problems when using Seafoam.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The guy who owns the boat shop that sells us our equipment at work says not to mess with any of that stuff. He says don't bother with stabilizer or ethanol treatment. He also says stay away from "ethanol free" gas. The treatments will do more harm than good in the long run or they simply don't work. The ethanol free gas gets purchased so infrequently that it sits in the station's tanks for long periods and picks up debris and deteriorates. He says the best thing is to buy pump gas, use it within a month, drain the rest, run the carburetor dry, and poor whats left in your truck.

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
The guy who owns the boat shop that sells us our equipment at work says not to mess with any of that stuff. He says don't bother with stabilizer or ethanol treatment. He also says stay away from "ethanol free" gas. The treatments will do more harm than good in the long run or they simply don't work. The ethanol free gas gets purchased so infrequently that it sits in the station's tanks for long periods and picks up debris and deteriorates. He says the best thing is to buy pump gas, use it within a month, drain the rest, run the carburetor dry, and poor whats left in your truck.
I think I'd ignore his advice. ;-) The best thing IME is non-ethanol fuel; I run it in my KLR's, Generators, chainsaws, weedwackers and my Jaguar......never a problem and I've had some of that stuff sit for over a year. I use Chevron 94 or Shell 91 V power depending.

The treatment products like Stabil and Seafoam do work to help stabilize the fuel and mitigate ethanol and water issues in every test I've read. I've been adding it to my boat and other engines every year before they get put to sleep for the winter.

The only thing I'd agree with is to drain the carb; it's simple and easy to do on the KLR. emptying the tank on a KLR isn't too bad but try it on a boat! ....not so easy.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
162 Posts
The only tests I've seen so far are two clogged up boat carbuerators and a 10kW Generator with gas slushie fuel tank and carb. All treated with Stabil. I tried to get the generator to read the literature and make itself better, but it didn't work and I still had tear it down. We gave up on one of the boat motors and bought a new one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
The only tests I've seen so far are two clogged up boat carbuerators and a 10kW Generator with gas slushie fuel tank and carb. All treated with Stabil. I tried to get the generator to read the literature and make itself better, but it didn't work and I still had tear it down. We gave up on one of the boat motors and bought a new one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
How long did they sit? ......I can only tell you that a) I've used stabil for years and never experienced a "gas slushie" and b) I've spent some time reading all the literature and testing out there - not saying it's a panacea, but I think it's better than nothing if something is going to sit for long periods....especially with ethanol contaminated fuel

ymmv,

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
FWIW; from Stabil:

MYTH #5: “STA-BIL BRANDED PRODUCTS GUNK UP CARBURETORS.”
If your equipment’s fuel system is already dirty and you’ve never used a fuel system cleaner, it’s possible the cleaning agents in a STA-BIL product will wash the dirt and grime off walls and into the fuel system. This is a common issue with older equipment and can end up clogging the carburetor.

If you’re facing this problem, we recommend running a high-quality fuel system cleaner through at least one tank of fuel before you store your vehicle equipment.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Stabilizers

My experience: FWIW

Bought my Honda NX250 in 1993 with about 3,000 miles. I now have just under 30K on it.
Back then it ran on regular leaded gas. I didn't ride it much, but did run it every few weeks.
Every winter I put Stabil in tank, filled it up, and ran carb. dry.
It started right up every spring, and ran good.

Fast Fwd. to 4 years ago. Due to high cost of gas, I started to ride it more in summer. Got to thinking, maybe I should take a look at the carb. Pulled it, took it apart, and... Nice and clean inside. No issues at all. All plastic/rubber/ ? parts in great condition.

In the last couple of years I've switched to Techron concentrate. Only because, I only have to put about 1/2 to 3/4 oz in the 2 plus gallon tank. I can get a bottle locally for around $15.00 A bottle lasts me all summer. ( I treat both of my other bikes too.)

Last year I was given a bottle of octane booster free. I've been putting about 1/2 oz in the NX every other tank full. Just to use up the bottle. The bike seems to have been running better since doing all this. Maybe carb. is getting cleaner? Maybe octane booster is making it run better? Who knows. I'll still store my bikes with full tank treated with stabilizer. YMMV

Shameful plug for my videos...
Here's what it runs like...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Here's my 2 cents on fuel stabilizers.
First never bet on any brand stabilizer preventing your carburetor from gumming up over the winter regardless of whether ethanol is in the fuel or not. I think the stabilizers are really only good for keeping the large amount of gas in the tank fresh enough to easily fire the engine and run OK after sitting all winter. Even with a good dose of Stabil in the gas you risk varnishing the carb if gas sits in it over the winter.
Here's my method for putting everything from my bikes to mower up for the long Michigan winters and over the last 30 yrs or so have had ZERO problems in the spring.
First for the last ride of the season before you head out put the recommended amount of stabil in the tank and then an extra oz just to be sure. Fill the tank all the way up. Go for a ride to insure it got mixed well and is circulated completely through the system.
Then before you shut her down for the last time turn the petcock off and run at about 2,000 rpm till she begins to sputter, pull the choke . It will then smooth out and run normally for another couple of seconds. When it starts sputtering again, open the throttle trying to rev it. This will tend to suck more fuel from the hiding places in the carb. The less you leave in there the less to gum up. After it just dies completely, I always open the bowl drain and make sure there isn't any left in there. I then drain and refill the engine oil.
Even with the Stabil if you leave gas in the carb you risk varnishing it up over winter. I do the lawn mower the same way. It has a plastic tank though so condensation and rust isn't an issue so I don't leave gas in the tank. I just run it wide open till it dies, then change the oil. It always starts in the spring with 1 or 2 pulls.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use Sea Foam in everything. My Honda generator sat for over 2 years with Sea Foam in the tank. Started on second or third pull (battery was flat). As for the boat shop guy, that would be my advice also provided I wanted to get more carb business next spring. Just saying, it sounds like he has an agenda, his bank account.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts