Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fuel tank lock on my 2006 KLR650 is getting pretty sticky and feels as if it needs some lubrication. Before I just start taking it apart, I thought I'd ask and see if there are any suggestions or wisdom on how to do it. Also, is there anything else I should do while I have it apart. - Thanks, Barry

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
The fuel tank lock on my 2006 KLR650 is getting pretty sticky and feels as if it needs some lubrication. Before I just start taking it apart, I thought I'd ask and see if there are any suggestions or wisdom on how to do it. Also, is there anything else I should do while I have it apart. - Thanks, Barry
Keep in mind, I'm lazy. Mine got so bad I thought I was gonna break the key getting gas one time. When I got home I put the key in just enough to open up the gap and sprayed some wd40 or put 3 in one, I don't remember. A little and worked the key. Not a problem since.

There's probably a better way, but it sure was easy. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Keep in mind, I'm lazy. Mine got so bad I thought I was gonna break the key getting gas one time. When I got home I put the key in just enough to open up the gap and sprayed some wd40 or put 3 in one, I don't remember. A little and worked the key. Not a problem since.

There's probably a better way, but it sure was easy. :)
Shave some graphite from a number #2 pencil lead and funnel it in the hole. Makes a better lock lubricant. Doesn't take a lot.I learned that from a locksmith.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Been there and done that. WD40

·
Registered
259 Posts
You can get graphite in a tube at walmart in their key cutting area. Probably in most home centers as well. Graphite is a long known lube for any lock set.

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
....not to say that graphite or graphite spray isn't better; just that I've always managed to free them up with WD so I haven't bothered with anything else. If WD didn't do it, I'd move on to a penetrating lubricant

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts