Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm out of ideas. I removed the tank from my 2014 KLR 650 and I CANNOT get the mounting holes to line back up. I've taken the tank off and put it back on more times than I'd care to admit and struggled with it for 2 nights now. Every time I put it back on, the right side mounting hole is misaligned. I'm at a loss for ideas at this point. Anybody experience something like this before?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Get down on the right side of the bike and take a look at the area where the horseshoe-shaped bracket on the tank engages the rubber puck on the frame. Chances are you will see that the puck is not fully engaged in the tank bracket, which suggests that you have not pushed the tank forward sufficiently on the right side. To make full engagement easier, I will sometimes lube both rubber pucks with Vaseline before installing the tank.

Jason

·
Registered
135 Posts
Get down on the right side of the bike and take a look at the area where the horseshoe-shaped bracket on the tank engages the rubber puck on the frame. Chances are you will see that the puck is not fully engaged in the tank bracket, which suggests that you have not pushed the tank forward sufficiently on the right side. To make full engagement easier, I will sometimes lube both rubber pucks with Vaseline before installing the tank.

Jason.

Jason
I would suggest using Baby powder instead of Vaseline. It’s a lot less messy and well not attract dirt.

·
Registered
08 KLR stock stock stock with doo-hickey.
61 Posts
Three guys worth of "muscle" should not be necessary to get the tank back on. Something is definitely amiss.

Do you recall when you took it apart, after taking the two bolts out did the tank kind-of shift into the misaligned state your photo shows? Or as you took the bolts out did things just stay where they were?

If the bike tips or crashes just the wrong way, with the weight of the bike pushing on the tank, one or both of those front tank mount puck posts can bend out of position. Might even have been a previous owner.

The other possibility is one or both of those pucks out of position on their mounting stems. Over the course of two days of struggling you've checked that.

Maybe three guys worth of muscle have force-straightened the puck posts back closer to where they should be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Three guys worth of "muscle" should not be necessary to get the tank back on. Something is definitely amiss.

Do you recall when you took it apart, after taking the two bolts out did the tank kind-of shift into the misaligned state your photo shows? Or as you took the bolts out did things just stay where they were?

If the bike tips or crashes just the wrong way, with the weight of the bike pushing on the tank, one or both of those front tank mount puck posts can bend out of position. Might even have been a previous owner.

The other possibility is one or both of those pucks out of position on their mounting stems. Over the course of two days of struggling you've checked that.

Maybe three guys worth of muscle have force-straightened the puck posts back closer to where they should be.
I fully agree with you. I'm terrified to ever take the tank off again. This is the 2nd time I've taken the tank off. The first time was challenging to reinstall, but this one was nearly impossible.
The bike hasn't been dropped since I've owned it. I do see signs that it was likely dropped on its right-side by the original owner judging by some scrapes on the fairing and scuffs on the right handlebar end weight. The curious thing is that I've done this job once before and didn't struggle this way.

I shifted, pushed realigned, checked and double-checked everything on the bike for 2-3 days before forcing it into place. I even tried putting baby powder on the mounting pucks to assist with sliding into place. I didn't feel any additional resistance when removing the mounting bolts that would suggest it was already tweaked when I took it off.

I now wonder if this is a result of me choosing not to fully drain the tank before removing it. I was extremely careful and gentle while moving it around, but that's the only thing I can figure I may have done to cause this. If that's the case, lesson learned: Just drain the damn thing!

·
Premium Member
9,164 Posts
Shouldn't need to drain it, I don't.

You may eventually find your ERROR. Hopefully not too much damage from forcing the issue.

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,454 Posts
Send pics of the rods the pucks go onto, the top frame tube, and the bracket that the back of the tank screws into. I want to see if anything up there is bent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts