Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where the fuel line from the petcock connects to the carb, is it supposed to rotate/spin. All the other carb connections (vacuum) are fixed. Since I've found many shade-tree mechanic issues with this bike, I figured I'd better ask. I'm sure the answer would be obvious to me if I had pulled the carb out, but I really don't intend on doing that until I have to.

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
On the Gen 1 87 - 07 carbs, both the float bowl vent nipple & the fuel inlet nipple are sealed with o-rings and are movable, replaceable, as they are retained by the steel bracket & 2 small screws holding the idle air cut-off diaphragm cover to the LH side of the carb.

On Gen 2 08 - 18 carbs, Neither the float bowl vent nipple nor the fuel inlet nipple are ever intended to be removed or replaced.

·
Registered
383 Posts
To answer your question, the fuel inlet on your particular carburetor does not swivel, assuming your '08 KLR has an '08 or later carburetor. The fuel inlet is a cheesy plastic piece which is a point of failure. And perhaps contrary to what you've been told, I believe it is replaceable via aftermarket.

Is yours broken? And if so, let us know and we can provide info on how to replace it.

Jason

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine's titled as a 2008, but with this bike, that's no guarantee. You're saying a 2007 carb inlet should do that (swivel), but a 2008 carb should not? Any pics/diagrams of the differences? My 2008 Clymer pics/descriptions weren't very helpful.

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
...On Gen 2 08 - 18 carbs, Neither the float bowl vent nipple nor the fuel inlet nipple are ever intended to be removed or replaced.
To answer your question, the fuel inlet on your particular carburetor does not swivel, assuming your '08 KLR has an '08 or later carburetor....
This is not correct. There have been some changes to the fuel inlet nipple and the vent nipple (especially the inside configuration of the vent nipple), but the change on the KLR650 CVK40 to the 'non-removable' nipples (they are, of course, removable and replaceable using the parts the Harley guys have made) did not happen until the 2010 model year. The OP's 2008 should have the easily removable nipples that do swivel.

The 'new style' nipples were really odd in that they were not new in 2010. They had been used on the Vulcan carbs 20 years ago. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
Vulcan carb on the left with nipples similar to the 'new' KLR nipples. '08 KLR650 carb on the right. The bracket securing the nipples is the giveaway that the nipples are the removable and swiveling type.

Close up of 'non-removable' nipple in situ.

Close up of the removable and swiveling nipple.

Generally speaking, what a nipple from '84-'09 looks like.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...Is yours broken? And if so, let us know and we can provide info on how to replace it.
Jason
Not broken (that I know of). Still waiting for my valve cover bolt and gasket so I haven't been able to put my bike back together, so I decided to gamble and take on a bunch of modifying while waiting on that - like removing the vapor recover & AIS stuff and switching over to a manual petcock. And that's how I discovered the pivoting/swiveling fuel inlet nipple and wanted to make sure it was supposed to be like that (without actually removing the carb and inspecting).

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
Thanks, Tom. Great pic! That's exactly what I've got (though in your pic the top swivel nipple has been taken out).
How else would I take a picture of it?

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
How else would I take a picture of it?
Ultrasound? MRI? :)

I think I THOUGHT the carb fuel intake nipple on my '07 is a, "press fit." It became un-pressed once while I was fooling with it; in a panic (as some fuel flowed freely from the fuel line (not much, OEM vacuum-actuated petcock operational)), I hastily re-stabbed the carburetor hole with the nipple. Never noticed any o-rings, might have seen 'em if I hadn't been in such a hurry to, "Little Dutch Boy" the leak in the dike.

Anyhow, I zip-tied the fitting, in hopes of preventing another "un-press" incident to what I thought was a "press" fit.

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
Was that not on the petcock itself? Those are some sort of goofy friction fit and they are prone to popping off and creating an inopportune moment.

Truth be told, I think that petcock fitting is the real reason KHI put a vacuum-operated petcock on the KLR...

Wink, wink, nudge-nudge, LOL, that was a joke.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwestman View Post
...On Gen 2 08 - 18 carbs, Neither the float bowl vent nipple nor the fuel inlet nipple are ever intended to be removed or replaced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton 850 View Post
To answer your question, the fuel inlet on your particular carburetor does not swivel, assuming your '08 KLR has an '08 or later carburetor....

This is not correct. There have been some changes to the fuel inlet nipple and the vent nipple (especially the inside configuration of the vent nipple), but the change on the KLR650 CVK40 to the 'non-removable' nipples (they are, of course, removable and replaceable using the parts the Harley guys have made) did not happen until the 2010 model year. The OP's 2008 should have the easily removable nipples that do swivel.

The 'new style' nipples were really odd in that they were not new in 2010. They had been used on the Vulcan carbs 20 years ago. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Oops, sorry for the bad information. I have a 2012 KLR with a non-swiveling fuel inlet, so I mistakenly assumed all Gen IIs did not swivel.

Here's a pic of a replacement fuel inlet for the non-swivelers. As you can see, it's solid brass and is merely pressed into position after removing the brass stub.

Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
383 Posts
Was that not on the petcock itself? Those are some sort of goofy friction fit and they are prone to popping off and creating an inopportune moment.

Truth be told, I think that petcock fitting is the real reason KHI put a vacuum-operated petcock on the KLR...

Wink, wink, nudge-nudge, LOL, that was a joke.
I got it, good one.

Jason

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Jason,
I did say, not "ever intended to be removed or replaced". I did not say couldn't. ;)
Was hoping that he wouldn't need to go there.

Tom,
Yeah I missed the rigid mount, "permanent" nipple date by a few of years. But the mention of screwed on steel bracket should be a sufficient clue.

I was hoping to not need to find "outdoort's" HD brass replacement thread for the newer carbs.

I may have previously reported to Damocles that the HD brass nipple is too large of OD to fit the Bayou 300 atv carb. (maybe this was the loose one?)
The last customer which broke one of those, I still had to solder a shortened brass elbow to the remaining brass stub.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Quite possibly so!

Or, as pdwestman suggests, perhaps on the KLF300 Bayou 4X4!

My memory isn't as . . .

:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts