Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have a spare KLR engine and frame that I acquired in separate purchases, Id like to make one complete bike out of them. The problem is the engine was sitting for a very long time, so I want to completely tear it down, and rebuild it. Is there a parts list for gaskets and seals needed to do a complete full up rebuild? the head was removed from this engine so no, its not real clean inside but there seems to be no real rust on the crank, before I split the cases and lose all the little parts Id like to have everything needed to put it back together, if there are worn parts that need replacing usually then I will buy those too, might buy new bearings just because but ill leave that up to more experienced people to help me decide.

Thanks for any help you have!

·
Administrator
9,969 Posts
From Kawasaki, no.

Gaskets and seals are generally sold by the aftermarket in logical groupings. One can usually buy a 'top-end' gasket set, a 'bottom-end' gasket set, but will usually have to buy some seals and bits that are included in neither one. Sometimes one may find a "'complete gasket set' which usually isn't really complete, but close.

Just looking at e-bay, I think these three listings illustrate the variability in what is available and the variability in what "complete" means in Chinese (because a complete OEM gasket set would cost hundreds of dollars and most people wouldn't go that route, so Chinese stuff is what you're looking at)...

·
Administrator
9,969 Posts
At one time I was taking side covers of and putting them on as frequently as once a week or so. I'd have gone broke doing it with OEM gaskets. I used Tusk gaskets, which are Chinese, and simply massaged a bit of grease into them and installed them. I could get a couple of uses out of them until they simply became too tattered to work and began to leak. I was satisfied with them and wouldn't hesitate to use them.

On the other hand, I wouldn't use Cometic base gaskets as they have been troublesome. I think an OEM head gasket is the one to use, even if you have to grind the ID out to fit an overbore. When I bought my Wössner piston, Wössner was having Cometic make a head gasket to fit the overbore; I don't know if they are still doing that. The Cometic head gasket was OK.

Reactions: ZachM1

·
Registered
87 Posts
At one time I was taking side covers of and putting them on as frequently as once a week or so. I'd have gone broke doing it with OEM gaskets. I used Tusk gaskets, which are Chinese, and simply massaged a bit of grease into them and installed them. I could get a couple of uses out of them until they simply became too tattered to work and began to leak. I was satisfied with them and wouldn't hesitate to use them.

On the other hand, I wouldn't use Cometic base gaskets as they have been troublesome. I think an OEM head gasket is the one to use, even if you have to grind the ID out to fit an overbore. When I bought my Wössner piston, Wössner was having Cometic make a head gasket to fit the overbore; I don't know if they are still doing that. The Cometic head gasket was OK.
I see. So for heavy tasks better to use OEM then.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent information, I figured I would have a mix of tusk and OEM parts, I have the service manual so I guess I should just go through the build process in that and collect part numbers from there.

·
Registered
87 Posts

That thin sheet of OEM head gasket is expensive! Does Wossner sell the head gasket too? I don't see it listed on their website. Remind me does Wossner have oil burning problem?

·
Administrator
9,969 Posts
Wössner was having Cometic make an oversized head gasket to fit their oversized pistons. I don't know if they still do. I really don't know that they sold enough pistons to make it worthwhile unless it was for the European market. I only know of a short handful of 678cc displacement Wössner engines. You'd have to call either them or Cometic.

All thumpers will burn oil, especially when spun up. A good quality piston and ring set will make that oil consumption be quite low, to the point where people who don't really understand stuff will say "...my 678/685/692/705/720 doesn't burn a drop of oil between oil changes...".

My 678cc Wössner-pistoned wundermotor doesn't burn a drop of oil between oil changes.

·
Administrator
9,969 Posts
@pdwestman, yes, of course. I am still using a #43 orifice. However, the cover is coming off soon and I will be putting in a #44. I probably won't ever go smaller than that.

Reactions: pdwestman

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wössner was having Cometic make an oversized head gasket to fit their oversized pistons. I don't know if they still do. I really don't know that they sold enough pistons to make it worthwhile unless it was for the European market. I only know of a short handful of 678cc displacement Wössner engines. You'd have to call either them or Cometic.

All thumpers will burn oil, especially when spun up. A good quality piston and ring set will make that oil consumption be quite low, to the point where people who don't really understand stuff will say "...my 678/685/692/705/720 doesn't burn a drop of oil between oil changes...".

My 678cc Wössner-pistoned wundermotor doesn't burn a drop of oil between oil changes.
Have you tried using regular gas on this piston or do you have to limit on premium? What is the power gain compared to EM 685 ?

·
Administrator
9,969 Posts
I run premium, as that helps to assure that I get ethanol-free. Not always, but pretty good odds with Shell and Chevron.

I have no objective way of comparing changes in power between the 685 and the Wössner and really don't care. I think it has more power than my 685 did, but there are a host of other modifications to the bike that would make any definite statement moot.

·
Administrator
9,969 Posts
There's something you don't see every day, huh?

Yeah, I'd trim that off. Maybe replace it with something shorter before doing so.

·
Premium Member
KLRs: 2013, 2005, 1998, 1987; 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
2,265 Posts
IIRC, when I did the 692 kit on my 2013, I saw that end of that stud in the exhaust port too. I filed it down with a rotary burr.

·
Premium Member
KLRs: 2013, 2005, 1998, 1987; 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
2,265 Posts
If you now have a depression, then you cut off too much of the stud. The KLR doesn’t have a high performance engine, so don’t mess with it further.

·
Premium Member
10,775 Posts
Just snug with Loc-Tite Red is plenty fine. Use anti-seize grease on the flange nuts.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts