Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know where I can find the fuse box on my 07? I started to make a night ride last night and noticed that I had no headlight or tail light. The turn signals and brake lights are fine.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I'm not home right now and can't remember where the fuse box is on the KLR.. But, I can give you a pretty good idea as to why you lost the fuse.

If you flip the hi/low beam switch too slowly, or allow it to sit in the middle, you actually run both elements and overload the fuse. Make sure you flip the switch from hi to low all the way..

If it get's bumped and sits in the middle, it'll blow the fuse.. Many have done this, including myself.

Anybody able to tell puddle jumper where the fuse box is?? I can't remember..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Fuse Box

Look under your seat. Kawasaki has even provided a fuse to replace. Be sure to replace the back up fuse.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Under seat. The ten amp blows. You should replace with 15 amp fuse or it will happen again. Paper is right about why it blows.

·
Registered
63 Posts
As said, the fuse "box" is under the saddle, its an "ïn-line" item, black and sort of plastic rubbery looking flat and square'ish.
Would suggest replacing it entirely as if you are starting with problems they will continue, cause of problems on my 05, 06 and 07 0KLR's were all related to poor connectivity in the fuse box itself and lead to many hours of frustration.
Replace with "blade" type units which I purchased from my local Electronics supplier...never had a problem since changing them.

·
Registered
269 Posts
yarp. cut the crappy glass fuses out. i spent too many hours messsing around with fuses that tested good but then when you put the voltage to em and they warm up they short out. cut it out and put in mini's

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
...What is this blade fuse you talk of and secondly, can a fuse be bad tho the element is not broken and still intact?

Thanks Guys!!!
flipwerd -

Welcome to the forum!

Look here for what a blade fuse is. Basically, it's a modern fuse that is in a plastic case and has a more reliable contact than the old glass fuses.

I can't remember if the KLR blade fuse holder upgrade uses the small (ATM) or the larger (ATC) fuses, but it's a worthwhile upgrade for improved reliability in the fuse block.

A glass fuse can look good and be bad, and can actually test good and be bad. Rare, but it happens when the fuse element breaks at it's connection from vibration. Blade fuses are easier to install, remove and inspect than glass fuses, and are more rugged. I've never seen a blade fuse that looked or tested good and was bad.

Tom

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
flipwerd -

The fuse relo kit is not something you will find at your local dealer.

If you have a good electronics-type store, a good auto parts store (or the internet - try this guy) you can get the required parts to do the job yourself. I think this kit is still available, too, if you don't want to tackle a home-brew job.

Here's a link to a good document on how the kit was installed

I have the Gen2 KLR, which came form the factory with blade fuses, so this is not a mod I've done myself. We might have a member on here who has done this mod who can chime in.

Tom

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
Would something like this help???
Wow, Paper, that's pretty impressive! I might gotta get me one of them. Dunno what for right now, but I bet I can think something up...

Tom

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
Humpty Dumpty -

It would be cool if you had a write-up to go with that!

flipwerd -

I have a pretty good electronics store near me, and I had occasion to stop in there this afternoon. They had in-line blade fuse holders, but they were the type where you have to cut and splice into the harness. If you want to do this yourself and do it really cleanly, I'd recommend looking at what Eastern Beaver has.

Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts