Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking a Charity Ride from TX to Guatemala...bought a 2002 KLR and am doing a full service. I was checking the fuses and found two old-fashioned glass tube style fuses. What? :surprise::surprise: There was an extra slipped into the rubber fusebox sleeve-thing. Switched out one, the other waslooked good. Are these it? What's the _ _ amp rating, are they both the same?

I have a 12-volt plug on the dash (guy who owned it first did it), pluged in the mini air-compressor (also from previous owner) and it worked for about two seconds than stopped. Tried plugging it into my Road Glide and it works fine so I know it's not the compressor. :chopper::chopper: Want to make sure I have a good working power outlet for phone, iPod etc.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
If I recall those are 10A fuses. Most people switch out the glass fuses for the blade type. That was one of the first things I did to my KLR. There is another fuse for the rad fan located on the frame above the coolant fill bottle. It's kinda a pain to get at becasue you need to remove the cover in front of the coolant bottle. Again most folks relocated that fuse to the outside in a waterproof fuse holder.

The headlight fuse has a reputation for blowing because of the switch. You could up that fuse to 15A.

As to your 12V plug on the dash you'll have to trace the wiring back to see what was done there.

Some good info for you here: http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html#electricalsystem

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I recommend running the accessory outlet on a separate 15 amp fused non switched circuit directly from the battery. So you can operate an air pump, gps and others without having to have the ignition switch on.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
I used this upgrade as well. It was really easy to install. The only issue I had was that, if you try and clip the fuse assembly where they tell you to, then the left side panel won't fit back on. If you have a picture of where you installed yours, I would greatly appreciate it.

John
If it helps here is a picture of where mine is installed. Never had an issue in 10 years.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts