Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hot on the trail of the KLR experience. After seeking high & low I have a few questions for the KLR Gods.

1. What is Considered High Mile for a 2 year old bike. (08 model with 2k)
2. Newer bike with no extras (Racks, Guards, etc) or a 1 to 2 year old bike with the extras.

I will say that I want to learn how to do my own customizing yet I want to be savy.

Any Pointers would be great.

I more of the Extras what are the most important to have on the KLR. (Doohicky Etc)

Thanks KLR GODS!

·
Registered
257 Posts
When I bought mine, I wanted something brand new that I knew the history of and could maintain perfectly. After having it a couple years, I realize I could have gotten a much sweeter deal by buying a farkled out used model. And would go that route in a heartbeat.

I have 20000 miles on my 08.

2000 miles is absolutely nothing.

For a 2nd gen, I wouldn't worry if the doo was done.. If the balancer chain isn't clacking, you still have time to get in there and do it. I'd be looking for clean plastics mostly, with crash protection installed. The shrouds are really expensive. An upgraded suspension would be great.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
When I bought mine, I wanted something brand new that I new the history of and could maintain perfectly. After having it a couple years, I realize I could have gotten a much sweeter deal by buying a farkled out used model. And would go that route in a heartbeat.

I have 20000 miles on my 08.

2000 miles is absolutely nothing.

For a 2nd gen, I wouldn't worry if the doo was done.. If the balancer chain isn't clacking, you still have time to get in there and do it. I'd be looking for clean plastics mostly, with crash protection installed. The shrouds are really expensive. An upgraded suspension would be great.
I agree. I might buy new again, but I still agree. (That's possible right?) I disagree with myself a lot.

The 'should I get a new bike or a used farkled bike' is a common dilemma. It has a lot to do with the former owner and how comfortable you are looking for the warning signs of an abused machine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I'm enjoying the hunt but eager to have my own. I found a new 2009. $4600.00 out the door. I think that would give me room for add ons sooner than later.

I am still interested in a Used bike also. I'm hoping for magnetic forces to draw me to the BIke.
SOON!!!!

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
close to 13k on mine:character00271:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so I'll no longer worry about milage! I'm going for a 08 09 with Farkles!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts