Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm brand new to this forum and a fairly new bike rider. I obtained my L's in Feb 09 and 2 days later picked up my 08 KLR 650. I am really loving this bike. My previous riding was only an old postie bike in the bush chasing Pigs. When I first got on the KLR i was a daunted by the size of it, but after an hour of riding I was really feeling comfortable. I have just had the 1000 KM service done on it and getting ready for the P's test in mid May (trying to beat the change in new licencing rules in June). Anyway, look forward to hearing from all you Aussie KLR nuts out there:)

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hey Dogman, you might explain the P's and L's to us Yanks. I wish we had a system like that here.

Congrats and ride safe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bigiron,
The L's (Learners Permit) is the first step in the Licence process. It is made up of a 7 hour (over 2 days) upright course followed by a computer test. The P's (Provisional licence) is the next step. To obtain your P's you have to pass a Pre Provisional course followed by a practical test (cone weaves and such) that is conducted on 1 day and takes 8 hours. Once you passed this test you went onto P plates for a year. Previously if you were over 30 and held an unrestricted car licence for more than 5 years, once you passed the P's test you went straight to a full riders licence (no requirement for P plates). But the Government anounced in March that as of 1st June regardless of age or previous licencing, every one would have to do a minimum of 1 year on the P plates = restricted to 90 km/h or 55 Mph max speed. Thats why i'm rushing to do the test before June. I am booked in to do the test on 18 May.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Why we don't have a system more like that is beyond me. Save a lot of people some heartache.

Here you can take a simple test on a 100cc scooter, then go buy a Goldwing and you're good to go.

And the learners permit just requires a test...which a child could pass.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Another thing I really liked in Oz was to see the drivers stopped and off the road using their cell phones. Man, I'd love to have that here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts