Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
..and I should know better.

This is a cautionary tale, and is a long story.

I came back from a ride where I was running knobbies and changed them out for my normal road tires.

After installing the front tire, I couldn't find my valve stem cap, one of those metal ones with the built-in valve core remover. No worries, it's on the floor somewhere and I've got several spares in the tire tool box. Replaced it and cleaned up the shop.

A couple of days later I noticed the front tire was low. Bummer. I've installed bike and motorcycle tires more times than I could even hazard a guess at, but you pinch one once in a while.

Off comes the wheel and out comes the tube. I ran my fingers around the inside to make sure there was nothing sharp in the tire that I might have missed the first time or that I might have picked up in those couple of days. Nothing, so I chalked it up to a pinch. Better be more careful with my technique.

It was the day before my long trip and I pulled the bike into the shop to load it up, change oil, and generally ready it for the trip. Up at 5 the next morning to get ready to roll, and find the front tire is flat. Expletives deleted....

Quickly changed the tube AGAIN (using a patched one), this time being extra careful with the install and doing a more thorough search for something sharp embedded in the tire. Nothing.

A couple of days later, up in Bridgeport, I woke up and found a flat tire. Now we got some good expletives to delete.... Maybe it was a bad patch, or I got hit with bad spooning technique a couple of times in a row. Dunno.

Aired up and rode. The next morning, flat again. Aired up and rode. Stopped in Susanville to visit Walmart - came out and it was flat. Kudos to some local guys at M&S Motorsports - they couldn't help me out with a fix (I didn't want to try a campsite fix - seeking professional help at this point, M&S had no machine and declined to take the risk. Totally understand.), but they did Google and call around and hook me up with Lee's Honda-Kawasaki over in Redding. Aired up and rode. The guys at Lee's were waiting for me when I arrived. Got me in and out in no time with a new tube and a good balance job. Fine, off to Mt Shasta.

Woke up in the morning to a flat tire. OK, we got some REAL good expletives now!

Aired up and rode, repeatedly, until I finally said "screw it" a couple of days later in Merced and put a can of Fix-A-Flat in. Problem solved. I had not wanted to do this, fearing balance problems with the liquid in the tire. None were ever noted.

This morning was my first chance to tear it down to find what the real problem was. I took the tube out and removed the tire from the rim. Sure enough, there's a hole in the tube and what looks like some abrading and puncturing from something sharp that MUST be in the tire. I picked up the tire and started to very carefully examine the inside, feeling my way along - learned a long time ago that I can easily feel what I can't see, so really don't LOOK at what I'm trying to feel. I could find nothing by hand, so I started a visual inspection.

Funny, but it took a couple of minutes to actually notice it, but guess what was rolling around inside the tire?

Yup, the valve stem cap that I had lost a couple of weeks earlier.

Gad, but I feel stupid....

Tom

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Arg. That sounds frustrating. Sorry brother.

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I was changing the front tire on my KLR a while back, and as usual, in a hurry.. I double checked rotation, slapped the tube in the tire, tire on the rim and got everything seated and on the bike.. I looked again.. Rotation was backwards.. :( Take it off and start over...

Of course "Friends" were there to watch this all take place..

And now, everytime I change tires, I someone has to mention "Once for speed, twice for accuracy."..

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Paper -

Sometimes you can say "I meant to do that; I'm practicing".

Sometimes ya can't...:)

I like to call these moments "Alexander" moments. As in Alexander Dumas. Only I pronounce it "dumbass".

Tom

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
You don't make many mistakes, Tom.... :)

(I mean hell, you're friends with me!) ;)

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
I was finished up rebuilding a 350 chev once and was getting all my tools put away and was missing a 7/16. Hmmmmm, what did i use that for? Header bolts. Off comes the intake manifold and it was right where I left it in the lifter galley. Doh !!!!

I work on large industrial compressors and once found and entire toolbox in a crankcase after the oil had been drained. Nobody there claimed it. Imagine that!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
"all's well that ends well," tom said airily. ;) (sort of...at least contextually)

·
Registered
5 Posts
sounds like something i have done before or will do sometime in the future. maybe it's in the name. regards, tomp

1 - 11 of 11 Posts