Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the world is going nuts, I've found myself with extra time as work events have been largely cancelled.

I've been doing some "extra" learning (reading on this forum), and have decided to KLX needle the carb, de-snorkle, airbox mod, add Ricor intiminators / change fork oil and do an oil change.

Along with some general housekeeping items like an aux light relay giving me trouble. Outfitting a new tool bag to tidy up panniers.

Making the most of time and rainy days. Parts are in and I'll commence tomorrow. Step 1 is clear off the workbench! I'm sure there are others here that are getting stir crazy...might as well love on the bugout bike.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Below is the directions to the KLX kit. Not sure whats to gain going the alternate setup. Anyone have some guidance? I ride predominately at 1,100-2,500', with trips to mountains rarer than I'd like. I didn't buy the 42 pilot jet...not sure if I should have.

Stock bike – 140 main, clip in second groove from top, brass collar on top of clip, 1 thin stainless shim
under clip. Idle mix screw 2 turns out from lightly seated. Alternate 142 main, no shim under clip,
everything else the same. Consider using a 42 pilot jet, they are on the site. Snorkel removed from
airbox.

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
May I offer a 4th option?

Snorkel removed, + Four 1" holes straight across the top of the air box. With freer airflow thru the air box, you need a little more fuel to make more power at 5000 rpm & up.
So, Main #142, Needle 2nd groove+ 1 shim under clip, Pilot #40, Mixture screw 2 turns open.

Your 4000 rpm & under fuel mileage may stay nearly the same as current.

Proper Jetting for your bike & altitude can always involve a little trial & error & experimentation.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply!

May I offer a 4th option?

Your 4000 rpm & under fuel mileage may stay nearly the same
Statement seriously piques my interest. This is why I've not done this mod to date...I was really enjoying the mileage a tank gets me. It takes the mental stress off rides in rural areas when a gas station might or might not be open. I'll absolutely give it a shot.

For clarification, even running stock exhaust the airbox mod is still something I should consider?

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
Thanks for the reply!

For clarification, even running stock exhaust the airbox mod is still something I should consider?
Absolutely! The stock muffler flows better than most people give it credit for.

An engine is a glorified air pump, best to add air going in before even thinking about letting more out. Your ears will hear a little more intake noise, but your neighbors won't hardly notice.

Here is some reading material from a professional that I trust, https://www.klrchris.com/kawasaki-klr650-airbox-mod/

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent - thank you!

I didn't want to give up the lawn mower sound...I'm a fan. Kidding aside, I personally feel that a new can will be the last dollars I spend in upgrades rather than the first at least on this bike - I've had really nice exhaust on all of my bikes. For now, I like stock.

Anyhow, I'll get to pokin' holes in the box. I've got the #40 pilot on order.

Question: In the option you gave, the brass spacer wasn't mentioned, but I want to make sure that addition/location didn't change. As in, use it and it's still on top of the needle. Correct?

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
Correct, the brass spacer makes the top of the needle the same thickness as the non-adjustable button head of the stock needle, so the plastic retainer prevents the needle from sliding Up as the slide descends during deceleration.

#40 pilot should be the standard carburetor jet. That is what helps retain your lower speed fuel economy in town & on slower back roads.

If you do install the EM suggested #42 pilot jet, which many people do, to lessen aftermarket muffler induced 'after-fire' popping out the tail pipe, you should probably not use a shim under the needle circlip.

Like I said, it can be trial, error & experimentation.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Makes perfect sense. Thanks again for the help. If I get too much decel pop, it's nice to have that plan.

Just finished the intiminator install and have the front end back together and properly torqued. May have to play with spacer length. Might be long by 1/2". Just need to ride and see how she feels.

De-snorkled and 4 - 1" holes drilled. Carb bench adjusted to specs and I know she runs. Just need to ride and tune as necessary.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far, the intiminators seem like a great addition. Uneven road surface, tar snakes...the bike just didn't care. Only put about 90 miles on the test ride, so no dirt, gravel - just pavement.

Definitely gotta tune some on the carb. Middle pulls good. Top end suffered a bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts