Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1986 KLR
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and couldn’t find anything on gas caps for my KL 600. I actually don’t need the cap just the gasket. I’ve looked all around the net for one, but no luck.
can anyone help.
thanks.

· Administrator
10,241 Posts
I believe that Kawasaki has a standard for gas cap tank threads. The question would be whether or not that standard goes back 40 years. Best thing to do would be to take the cap to a dealer and ask to try it on a current bike.

· Registered
KLR 600 year 1985
7 Posts
I did a search and couldn’t find anything on gas caps for my KL 600. I actually don’t need the cap just the gasket. I’ve looked all around the net for one, but no luck.
can anyone help.
thanks.
Same issue here, on my KLR 600 year 1985. The fuel cap gasket is falling apart and Kawasaki never provided it as spare but just a complete new cap, which now is no more available.

· Premium Member
12,573 Posts
The UK & EU countries received the KL600 models for many years after USA & Canada had changed over to the KL650's.
Best to include part# 51048-1063 Cap, fuel into your searches.

I believe that Kawasaki has a standard for gas cap tank threads. The question would be whether or not that standard goes back 40 years.
They were not threaded, just a 1/4 turn twist lock, like a radiator cap, but about 3 times normal size.
Almost wouldn't have needed a funnel to pour from an old steel G.I. can which was missing its spout! haha

Flash911,
You know, come to think about it, I think I have seen near that size caps on farm equipment, heavy equipment.
Coolant, Fuel, Hydraulic tanks? Probably prior to 1980's.

· Registered
1986 KLR
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well good ole’ Amazon had gaskets that have the correct diameters for the inner and outer circumferences but they are about 2-3 mm too thick. Not knowing how to shave that off, I just bent the tangs and it seems to work. Now I have not tried the to see if it actually passes a leak test yet. It’s a little snowy and chilly to ride for a bit. But I did get out a couple of weeks ago. Too much fun!!!
Tire Wheel Ice racing Snow Motorcycle

1 - 11 of 11 Posts