Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just got a 97 klr. Seems like gas works its way up an out of the key slot, mostly a problem when the tank is over 1/2 full. I read a link that pointed to an issue with the vent tube inside the tank? How the heck do I fix a tube inside the tank? What is happening here? Should I be replacing the cap instead?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Under the seat is a vent tube attached to the tank. Check the tube to make sure it is free of debris. Open the cap and try blowing air through the hose. Likely cause is your building preasure in the tank if the tube is blocked. If the block is inside the tank beyond the hose I'm not sure how you would clear it other than preasurized air?

·
Registered
704 Posts
This is a new one for me.

My bike is not here right now, so I can't check, but I think the vent tube terminates near or at the filler neck. I'm betting the tube is some how blocked or the cap vents are not letting the hot, expanded air escape.

There's several posts about removing the vent diaphrams in the tank cap. Might start there.

Keep us posted, pls.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Yeah, what a trip. I'm with BigIron...start easy first.

Amazing the havoc a jacked up vent can cause. Like making me wonder for a week why my bike wouldn't run for more than two blocks. This was back in the bad old days. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts