Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Even when I had a bike with a gas gauge, I set the trip meter when I fill up. I know how many miles to reserve so with the trip meter you can figure how many miles left.
I've always found that more useful than 1/4 tank ect.

·
Premium Member
2009 KLR 650
21 Posts
How miles does it go before empty? For the klr ?
On this forum, pretty much every discussion is for the KLR. So yes, about 30 miles once you switch to the KLR fuel tank reserve before you run out of gas. Remember that if you lean the bike over hard to the left, there is a small amount of gas left in the right side of the tank that you can use if you cut it too close.

·
Registered
52 Posts
How miles does it go before empty? For the klr ?
Depends on the riding conditions. For years I found my 2003 KLR was safe to go 200 to 220 mile before hitting reserve. On 1 trip several years ago, I found myself riding (fully loaded with camping gear etc) into a strong headwind across South Dakota, with a tank full of 10% ethanol South Dakota gas and was surprised to hit reserve at 180 miles. I then road 26 miles to the next gas station without running out. Didn't bother measuring the fumes that were left. Ever since that trip, I just made it a point of filling up every 180 miles or so. (and lubing the chain every other tank fill). When you only hit reserve once every 3 or 4 years, it's hard for me to remember which way to twist the petcock from the riding position! Oddly enough, I seem to get it right about 50% of the time!

·
Premium Member
9,213 Posts
I try to ride down into the reserve fuel position almost every time. Of course I do use the OEM fuel tap with 1 gallon of reserve.

This serves 2 purposes.
#1, It keeps the face of the selector handle from adhering/sticking to face of the 4 holed selector gasket, which can cause the selector gasket to tear when you finally must use reserve. That torn crumb of rubber can flow down the fuel line & jam the float needle open. Unless an in-line fuel filter has been installed.

#2, It keeps me from forgetting that the fuel handle needs to point Forward for more Go. On smooth highways, I almost always feel the first 2 stutters of the engine and can get switched with barely any slow down.

Reactions: Vgraf

·
Premium Member
9,213 Posts
Welcome Back Ranger Ron!!

Any chance that your older Threads & postings have had their pics restored? :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Welcome Back Ranger Ron!!

Any chance that your older Threads & postings have had their pics restored? :)
Thanks!

The pics in the threads were on an image hosting site that went away. I still have my copies of the pics, though.

The reason I haven't been around is that my bike was totaled. The quick story: I was stopped at a two lane highway waiting to turn left in a left turn lane. For some reason, an on-coming car crossed over into my lane and hit me essentially head on.

Ron

Reactions: Tym

·
Premium Member
9,213 Posts
Wow, that is sad to hear about totaling your bike. But I'm glad to read that they didn't total You.
That had to be scary. Hopefully you are fully recovered?

For the benefit of the OP, he can read about your work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts