Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1993 KLR650...I saw a small puddle of gas around the kickstand. Found the leak coming from the tube that is just under the front of the seat. The tube has a small black rubber cap that slides over the end of the tube. This cap is split and is no good. My questions are what is this small tube (some sort of an overflow, perhaps) for? What can I find around the house to replace this tube?

Thanks, Bruce

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
On a '93 I would think that should be the carb bowl overflow hose but it shouldn't/wouldn't have a cap on the end.
Anyone else have an idea?:confused:
Regards....justjeff

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I'm all for creative solutions, but this should be a cheap fix. Might want to order the real deal.

I'm not getting a great visual. You mean on the tank? No, right?

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
I suppose someone should ask the obvious question, What does the other end of the tube connect to? Have you followed it back to the source?
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On my 1993 KLR 650...After reading my post I see that I wasnt clear...Once you REMOVE the seat you will be able to see the part of the gas tank that the seat previously covered up. Im talking about the front of the seat that kinda of curves up on the gas tank. Again, once the seat is remove you will see a tube that is about 1.5" long that is actually part of the gas tank. This tube will have black rubber cap on it. The rubber cap on this tube split due to age. I was able to find such a cap today at the auto parts store. The tube is actually part of the tank. The tube is made from the same material the tank is made from steel or aluminium. The tube is painted blue just like the tank. I made a mistake when I posted. I didnt need to replace the tube I needed the cap which I found at the local auto parts store

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
On my 1993 KLR 650...After reading my post I see that I wasnt clear...Once you REMOVE the seat you will be able to see the part of the gas tank that the seat previously covered up. Im talking about the front of the seat that kinda of curves up on the gas tank. Again, once the seat is remove you will see a tube that is about 1.5" long that is actually part of the gas tank. This tube will have black rubber cap on it. The rubber cap on this tube split due to age. I was able to find such a cap today at the auto parts store. The tube is actually part of the tank. The tube is made from the same material the tank is made from steel or aluminium. The tube is painted blue just like the tank. I made a mistake when I posted. I didnt need to replace the tube I needed the cap which I found at the local auto parts store
That is the fuel tank breather connection and should NOT be capped. It allows air into the tank when the fuel is flowing out to the carb. If you plug it the tank will vacuum lock and the bike will starve for fuel. My bikes 2003 and 2011 have nothing connected to the metal tube. PO likely had running issues till that cap on yours split! If the tank is filled excessivly full, the gasoline expanding somtimes forces liquid gas out this vent line. A rubber hose can be connected and run down below the engine , but not plugged.

Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, OK....This is starting to get weird. If we are talking about the same thing....That cap has been there since day 1...20 years now. I have never experienced any running issues or vacuum lock. I happen to see a puddle of gas under the bike followed the gas trail to this tube. Once I removed the cracked cap the gas from the tube dripped even more quickly. Put new cap on stopped leak and went for a 45 min ride, no problems. This where it get weird...when I removed the seat and saw the cracked cap I could see an occasional drip. Once cap removed the drip came quicker. What is so weird about this is the tank was only half full...So I guess nothing should have been dripping...lol...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am going out to inspect tank again. Maybe there is a crack under or close to that tube. but I would think I would have seen gas leaking after I installed new cap....lol...

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
I am going out to inspect tank again. Maybe there is a crack under or close to that tube. but I would think I would have seen gas leaking after I installed new cap....lol...
You're right, that is weird! I thought you had recently purchased the bike. Maybe the tank is some how venting by a leak at the gascap. I believe the vent tube travels from the lower rear up to the gascap inside the tank. Maybe some one could chime in on this! I am going to look more closely at my spare tank and reply later.
Also...Have a close look at your fuel petcock and check for leakage there. Your carb overflow could also leak fuel onto the floor.
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
On my 1993 KLR 650...Again, once the seat is remove you will see a tube that is about 1.5" long that is actually part of the gas tank.
An open hose connects to this stub on my non-California '07, extending down to within about 10" of the riding surface. I sorta assumed this piping comprised the fuel tank breather system; YMMV.

Regardless, no cap, but open hose.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
You're right, that is weird! I thought you had recently purchased the bike. Maybe the tank is some how venting by a leak at the gascap. I believe the vent tube travels from the lower rear up to the gascap inside the tank. Maybe some one could chime in on this! I am going to look more closely at my spare tank and reply later.
Also...Have a close look at your fuel petcock and check for leakage there. Your carb overflow could also leak fuel onto the floor.
Regards....justjeff
The vent tube does indeed travel inside the tank up to the gascap. I applied compressed air to the tube with the gascap open and the air came out at the top of the tank. If you have fuel coming out this tube either there is a fault in the gascap or the tube is broken/cracked inside the tank. You can see the top of the tube if you look inside the tank at the 5o'clock position in the fillerneck.
Regards ....justjeff

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To be honest here... I have only owed the bike for two years. I bet you are right, there must be a crack INSIDE the tank in the tube that runs up to the top/filler neck. This would explain why the tube drips at a half of tank. Plus, on very hot summer days if I fill the tank very full and ride at slow speeds where the motor is running a little hot, gas will ooze from the filler cap...because there is a cap (just like you said) where there needs to be a hose....YES I THINK YOU WERE ON THE RIGHT PATH. Since there seems to be a crack near the bottom of the tube the old owner must have capped it off to keep most of the fuel from running out and didnt fill the tank CLEAR full....now things are starting to make sense...lol...

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Well at least you know what is going on. Likely will need to replace the tank to cure the problem completely.:easy_button::sign0161:
Regards....justjeff

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I'm so very confused. To be honest. ;)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
What's got you in a tizzy little one?
jj
I just reread it all. Think I got it. The 20 years/2 years threw me. I think I have sunstroke, too. :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
I just reread it all. Think I got it. The 20 years/2 years threw me. I think I have sunstroke, too. :confused:
Short Story: Hiinthesky found gas dripping out the tank vent tube. That should NEVER happen unless the tank was filled right to the top. His was only half full. Thus the tube must have a small crack or hole INSIDE the tank. The PO had capped the tube. This would cause vacuum lock during normal operation. He said the bike has been running fine. Therefore the gascap must have a leak allowing air in. The two faults correct each other.
See.....simple!
Regards....justjeff

1 - 20 of 22 Posts