Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all - excuse the noob in the room, but I’m coming up short in figuring out some issues I’m having on my 2008 KLR with no mechanical upgrades from stock with just over 10k on the engine. I am the third owner of the bike, and am running into issues with the fuel getting to the engine while running at hwy speeds (not a speed racer but keep pace with traffic) and a little idle issue. I have since re-checked all my fuel line connections, bolts that I touched, and fuel tank level. From the outside everything looks fine, but I’m not trusting that the problem won’t come back at all...

A little back story:
I recently installed Tusk frame bars and was having issues with getting the bike to start after I reinstalled the fuel tank. Because of the starting issues I noticed that I was low on oil (changed it and the filter), replaced the spark plug (glad I did that!), and checked the fuel filter (it looks in decent shape, but might change it this weekend). My starting problem was a disconnected hose, but those extras have helped the ride sound smoother and it took away the misfires I was hearing on a frequent basis when I was down shifting before the tusk installation. The bike had been sitting for two weeks as I was out of town prior to the changes.

I ran it last night around the neighborhood to get the the fluids running again and ran out of gas, but flipped it into reserve to get home. I was feeling like it would be a good day to ride to work in sunny so cal with my smooth rider, but I ran into some possible fuel starving issues. Before the ride I filled up the tank and got on my way, not remembering about the reserve switch. At around 5 miles in the ride while riding at 70mph the engine had a glitch and kinda lost powered. As I prepared to pull over, fuel kicked back in and I was back up to speed. I looked down to check my fuel flow switch and noticed it was still in reserve, and flipped it over to the on position. This happened again at about mile 20 but this time the engine shut off completely. Holding the clutch in I pulled over, let it sit for about 2 mins, checked to make sure I wasn’t losing fuel (tank still close to full and no moisture on the engine - anywhere), flipped the bike into the reserve tank just to get it started and off the freeway, and boom it started up. I got back up to 60 mph for another 5 miles to the exit. I got to the 4 stop light and the engine sounded like it was having a struggle with idling, and Then cut out again! I pulled over and switched the fuel into the on position which made it start up easy again. I messed with it a couple times since and drove it for lunch without the engine cutting out, but still if I’m at a stop light for the whole 2 minute red to green Cycle the engine struggles to hold a good idle.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for what to do, or what the problem could be?Should I change the fuel filter and look for anything else?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello all - excuse the noob in the room, but I’m coming up short in figuring out some issues I’m having on my 2008 KLR with no mechanical upgrades from stock with just over 10k on the engine. I am the third owner of the bike, and am running into issues with the fuel getting to the engine while running at hwy speeds (not a speed racer but keep pace with traffic) and a little idle issue. I have since re-checked all my fuel line connections, bolts that I touched, and fuel tank level. From the outside everything looks fine, but I’m not trusting that the problem won’t come back at all...

A little back story:
I recently installed Tusk frame bars and was having issues with getting the bike to start after I reinstalled the fuel tank. Because of the starting issues I noticed that I was low on oil (changed it and the filter), replaced the spark plug (glad I did that!), and checked the fuel filter (it looks in decent shape, but might change it this weekend). My starting problem was a disconnected hose, but those extras have helped the ride sound smoother and it took away the misfires I was hearing on a frequent basis when I was down shifting before the tusk installation. The bike had been sitting for two weeks as I was out of town prior to the changes.

I ran it last night around the neighborhood to get the the fluids running again and ran out of gas, but flipped it into reserve to get home. I was feeling like it would be a good day to ride to work in sunny so cal with my smooth rider, but I ran into some possible fuel starving issues. Before the ride I filled up the tank and got on my way, not remembering about the reserve switch. At around 5 miles in the ride while riding at 70mph the engine had a glitch and kinda lost powered. As I prepared to pull over, fuel kicked back in and I was back up to speed. I looked down to check my fuel flow switch and noticed it was still in reserve, and flipped it over to the on position. This happened again at about mile 20 but this time the engine shut off completely. Holding the clutch in I pulled over, let it sit for about 2 mins, checked to make sure I wasn’t losing fuel (tank still close to full and no moisture on the engine - anywhere), flipped the bike into the reserve tank just to get it started and off the freeway, and boom it started up. I got back up to 60 mph for another 5 miles to the exit. I got to the 4 stop light and the engine sounded like it was having a struggle with idling, and Then cut out again! I pulled over and switched the fuel into the on position which made it start up easy again. I messed with it a couple times since and drove it for lunch without the engine cutting out, but still if I’m at a stop light for the whole 2 minute red to green Cycle the engine struggles to hold a good idle.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for what to do, or what the problem could be?Should I change the fuel filter and look for anything else?
UPDATE:::
While riding home the problem of the engine did not occur. However, for 15 miles i was keeping a 65-68mph at 4000rmp in 5th, and had a couple slight loss of power plus a couple loud back fires. I then got it up to about 72-75mph at 5000rpm and rode the rest of the way like that on the freeway. When I exited to go back roads it seemed like anytime I was in the 3500-4000 rpms I would get slight loss of power and backfires between 2-4th gear.
Any ideas or feedback is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I am wondering if you filled your fuel tank completely up into the filler neck and therefore had liquid fuel rather than just vapors in the charcoal EVAP can on the LH rear of Cali approved models.

California approved models with the evap cans still in function should be left 1 Quart low of fuel!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am wondering if you filled your fuel tank completely up into the filler neck and therefore had liquid fuel rather than just vapors in the charcoal EVAP can on the LH rear of Cali approved models.

California approved models with the evap cans still in function should be left 1 Quart low of fuel!
True, and good thought, hut I did leave it a quart low today and made sure not to “top it off”.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Just a comment (and perhaps, a non-relevant one): The RESERVE volume of the fuel tank rests at the tank's LOWEST elevation. Thus, water (being more dense than gasoline) tends to settle in the lower, reserve, reaches of the tank. Flipping the petcock lever to, "RESERVE," may allow moisture entrance into the carburetor, whereas the "ON" petcock lever position favors skimming 'drier" gasoline from a higher tank level. If fuel is contaminated by moisture at the reserve level, then . . . running on, "RESERVE," may result in non-combustible mixture and symptoms as described above.

Make sense?

Didn't think so! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a comment (and perhaps, a non-relevant one): The RESERVE volume of the fuel tank rests at the tank's LOWEST elevation. Thus, water (being more dense than gasoline) tends to settle in the lower, reserve, reaches of the tank. Flipping the petcock lever to, "RESERVE," may allow moisture entrance into the carburetor, whereas the "ON" petcock lever position favors skimming 'drier" gasoline from a higher tank level. If fuel is contaminated by moisture at the reserve level, then . . . running on, "RESERVE," may result in non-combustible mixture and symptoms as described above.

Make sense?

Didn't think so! :)
Yeah that makes a lot of sense actually. That may be what is going on and I’m just getting to the point of burning off everything in the lines...?

·
Lifetime Member
2,497 Posts
Yeah that makes a lot of sense actually. That may be what is going on and I’m just getting to the point of burning off everything in the lines...?
The water/ethanol can also settle out in the bottom of your float bowl. There's a screw at the very bottom of the carb with the drain. My 08 didn't have a hose attatched to the drain nipple so I found a small piece of rubber hose in my garage and stuck it on the nipple so that the gas wouldn't run all over the bike cases, then I opened that screw and let the bowl drain. It won't drain a large amount because of the vacuum operated petcock, but it should get rid of any water or ethanol that has settled out there. I used to have to do that with my snowblower in the fall if I forgot to drain the fuel in the spring, lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts