Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed the eagle mike doohickey and torsion spring. I have been using permatex #2 non hardening sealant for many years on automotive stuff and some motorcycles with good success, but it has failed to prevent leaking of the left side inner case of this KLR650. I spread a thin coat of it on both sides of the gasket before installing. The surfaces look good, not scratched and they cleaned up nicely. They may be slightly warped??? I don't know why it didn't seal.
I found metal gaskets sealed with red RTV when I removed the cases. Somebody else probably had the same problem ??

Anyway,
I will need to take it apart again, put in a new gasket and seal it with something that will work. I am hesitant to use RTV/Silicon where there is engine oil. Silicon has been known to break of small pieces inside the case and clog up the oil system in other bikes.

Any suggestions and/or opinions on what has worked for others or the best sealant / gasket maker to use on the left side cases would be much appreciated. Since my go-to #2 has failed me I'm left with a seemingly endless list of product options, dozens from permatex alone.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I made this mistake when I performed the doohickey upgrade:

I was finishing up at night by flashlight and was in a bit of a hurry. I somehow didn't get two bolt holes aligned with the outer gasket and instead of the bolts passing through directly into the spacer, they punched through the "dog ears" of the the gasket. I didn't catch it at first, but eventually there was quite a bit of oil spitting out of that section of gasket.

I removed the cover and installed a new gasket, this time with a thin bead of black RTV to hold the gasket in place when I installed the bolts.

Problem solved.

Could you have done something similar? Did you completely remove all traces of the former gasket from the spacer and engine block? BTW, be sure to cover up the internals of your engine if you try to sand away the gasket material. Powdery residue goes everywhere.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Best gasket sealer in the world is Honda number 4 it is gray.

sent from my computer by frantically poking at the keyboard with a single finger

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
as far as I know you can only purchase it at a Honda dealership. This stuff is amazing gasoline resistant everything resistant if it's really important this is all I use

sent from my computer by frantically poking at the keyboard with a single finger

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
subvetssn;

Thanks for the reply. I haven't pulled it apart yet to see if I misaligned the gasket. Hopefully I did make that mistake! I cleaned up the mating surfaces well. All traces of the old RTV Red sealant were gone but I'll be extra sure the next time. I really really don't want to take this thing apart more than one more time.

I'm leaning toward Hylomar sealant, or maybe an anaerobic sealant. I'm really paranoid about using too much RTV and having globs break off inside or using too little and not getting a seal.

Hylomar gets rave reviews from the Harley crowd, and I figure if it can seal up a shovelhead it can seal anything.
Anybody out there used this stuff on KLR side covers?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Klr4ever, Ghost Rider;

I to have read good things about the Yamaha and Honda sealers. The quick consensus seems to be that they seal very well but it's B!#@h to get the parts disassembled again, which I may have to do if my problem isn't just the sealer I'm using. Have you had this problem?

Don't see many Hondas leaking oil though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Personally I don't use anything. But the Honda bond Yama bond are about the same can also get Japanese automotive sealant at most auto supply stores grey in color and none hardening and half the price .

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
Klr4ever, Ghost Rider;

I to have read good things about the Yamaha and Honda sealers. The quick consensus seems to be that they seal very well but it's B!#@h to get the parts disassembled again, which I may have to do if my problem isn't just the sealer I'm using. Have you had this problem?

Don't see many Hondas leaking oil though.
I haven't had any sealing problems and have done a number of doohickey jobs. In all but one the old gaskets were used too.

Reactions: CheapBassTurd

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's fixed...

Short story long:
I pulled it apart and looked a little closer at the mating surfaces on the inner case where it was leaking. It had been bashed in at some point, probably hit a rock or something and was warped. Somebody tried to sand it flat, and didn't do a bad job, but not perfect. Probably a couple thousandths low and high spots.
So, I opted for the yamabond 4 and a gasket on the inner case to crankcase based on recommendations and that it was easier for me to get the yamabond than hondabond. It's a perfect consistency, not too thick but doesn't run. I put it on fairly thick with a small brush. A little bit squeezed into the case when I torqued the bolts. It dries about like RTV, maybe a little softer, so I still have the concern of it breaking off bits and clogging up the oil system.

I used nothing but a fresh gasket on the outer case. That way I can easily pull it for inspection and possibly re-use the gasket.

Neither seal is leaking now, after a short ride to warm things up.

So, my experience.... Yamabond 4 works for slightly damaged case mating surfaces. Thick application will squeeze into the case and drys rubbery. No sealant is necessary on good mating surfaces with a new gasket. (as most people here have pointed out.) I don't know how hard it will be to pull the cases apart with the Yamabond in there and hope I never have to find out.

·
Registered
529 Posts
The only silicone I trust on a bike is Permatex's Ultra Black. It's extremely oil resistant. But it in the caulking type tube and save big time.

But I hate the thought of any silicone on a bike. Lots of horror stories that I've experienced first hand. I'd go for Three Bond or something similar if you really need more than a dry gasket.

Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts