Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about my last long trip and gear placement. We were at the top of the Continent-I on my DL1000. Long story short, in difficult conditions, I think it is vital to have your cell phone and first aid kit(with medications as appropriate to your health), on your person. I keep my stuff in my "Hydration Backpack". At times, we may unfortunately get "seperated" from our bike.
Others thoughts? Experiences?

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Last 4th of July I rode up to Escanaba, MI by myself to camp on the Lake Michigan shore, and then meet up with friends in Bayfield, WI on the following day..
I grabbed a bundle of campfire wood, along with grocerys near the campground..

I had home made fire starters with me, but decided to split up some kindling with my Glock knife.. I slipped and ended up slicing the tip of my left thumb open.. Put it this way, the bone is what stopped the blade..

Guess where my first aid kit was at??? Yep, in my GoldWing, at home.. I wrapped it in a sock until the bleeding slowed down, and then rode to a gas station and bought some first aid supplies.. I slept very little that night because of the throbbing..

I learned two lessons..
1. Get more first aid kits and put them in ALL my bikes.
2. Use the stupid fire starters. :)

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I was thinking about my last long trip and gear placement. We were at the top of the Continent-I on my DL1000. Long story short, in difficult conditions, I think it is vital to have your cell phone and first aid kit(with medications as appropriate to your health), on your person. I keep my stuff in my "Hydration Backpack". At times, we may unfortunately get "seperated" from our bike.
Others thoughts? Experiences?

Lots of places I go there isn't cell phone coverage so I got a Spot Satellite Messenger

I ride alone most of the time and pre-SPOT I would tell my wife my route and would have to stick to it. Now if I see something interesting I can go where I want. My wife can see my tracks and know that if I need help I can make contact.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Lots of places I go there isn't cell phone coverage so I got a Spot Satellite Messenger

I ride alone most of the time and pre-SPOT I would tell my wife my route and would have to stick to it. Now if I see something interesting I can go where I want. My wife can see my tracks and know that if I need help I can make contact.
It's also a good idea to keep the spot on your person and not on the bike just in case your ride goes one way and you go another and you can't get to your bike do to injury or ???

·
Registered
219 Posts
I carry a small first aid kit as well as a survival kit on all of my bikes. Of course they wouldnt do me any good if my bike falls off a cliff.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Spec, For the info: S.S.M. I think that is a buy for this year doing the T.A.T.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts