Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this site and am sure that this has been answered a bunch, I am wondering what the best after market gear shifter is for a 2014 New edition? Any help is much appreciated.

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
Reactions: Lockjaw

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought a happy trails +1 inch shifter. It works on my 2016 KLR 650. Costs about $30

It was easy to install once I used W-D-40.

Size 12 shoe. The stock shifter hit me a the bottom of my toes.... The +1 shifter, hits my foot at middle of my toes.

Review for happy trails.... I like it, but it's hard to feel when you have motorcycle shoes on. Overall took me about a day to get used to, but then I liked it better the +1 better than stock. It's a little stronger than stock. Its sold on Happy Trails website. It is not on amazon.

I was told the IMS shifters on amazon are garbage.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
That depends; are you just wanting a better constructed shifter or do you need an extended one?

I have size 9 boots and since I use the Knightdesigns drop pegs I didn't want a longer shifter, just one that wouldn't crack. I only found two that you could get stock length so I ordered the Moose one. If I wanted extended, I would have tried the Aluminum Tusk

2 cents,
Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for all the help. My shifter is causing a groove when I shift, its the MSR shifter. I will look into the others that were suggested.

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
Thank you everyone for all the help. My shifter is causing a groove when I shift, its the MSR shifter. I will look into the others that were suggested.
Sounds like it may be bent. Try removing it and bending it back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is a brand new shifter, I'm thinking about bending it out to see how that works. I'm still going to get another one in case that doesn't solve the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I will take it off and bend it little by little until it works. I'm just hoping it doesn't break, living in Europe it takes time to receive parts.

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
Interesting. What part of Europe are you from? Maybe you could add your location info to your Profile.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts