Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here in the wonderful land of Phoenix, I find myself very frequently having to cruise at 80mph due to not wanting to be run over. But, the RPMs as you know get a bit high. I don't do any low speed super technical off road stuff.
So, my question is, what should I look for to lower my 80mph RPMs without severely impacting my low speed riding?

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
By going to a 16 tooth counter sprocket, you can lower your RPM's by about 300 PRM's @ 70 MPH. Stock tires for the KLR 650 are 130/80-17. By going to a 120 or 130/90-17, you can drop a few more RPM's.

There are options for the rear sprocket, I have no experience with them. The 16 tooth front sprocket still allows me to putz and putter on forest service roads and get across creeks. Any higher gearing would prohibit this kind of riding. I wouldn't be able to get home.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
So, here in the wonderful land of Phoenix, I find myself very frequently having to cruise at 80mph due to not wanting to be run over. But, the RPMs as you know get a bit high. I don't do any low speed super technical off road stuff.
So, my question is, what should I look for to lower my 80mph RPMs without severely impacting my low speed riding?

You know that the speedo is off yes? Mine is exactly 10 percent high (GPS verified). Before I got the GPS I always had cars on my butt!

I run a 16 tooth front but I also stay off freeways.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya, I GPS'd mine as well. But unfortunately, being I live in Phoenix, I have to take freeways. That or leave really really really early. Eff that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Try the 16 tooth. It is a cheap item and fairly easy to change out. I found it OK with nothing on the bike but me. In the end I went back to stock gearing. I seldom run the expressway and the stock gearing just works better for me.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
if there was only a 6th.

Thanks for the help yall. Where's a good spot to pick up a nice 16 tooth?
Kelly's on Country Club has them for 18.00 or 20.00 bucks I know what you mean about riding in Phoenix.. The 16 tooth works for my 09 but the front fender is a sail at those speeds

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I keep hearing about front fender issues at speeds but I haven't ever noticed a thing. What's with the front fender at speed issue? What do you mean that it acts like a sail?

·
Registered
327 Posts
My front wheel goes crazy in strong winds, and a bit at higher speeds, as the fender catches the wind. Was very unnerving being a new rider.

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
Quite a few have mounted a supermoto fender in place of the stock Gen2 fender.

Acerbis, Cycra, KTM have been used to good effect.

Tom

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's odd. I wonder why I've never noticed any issues like that. I ride year around regardless of weather and haven't noticed a thing like that, but ya, I could imagine that being horribly sketchy feeling.
I do have a fork brace however and am curious if that's helping resolve that issue. . .

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
Front Fender:

The front fender, especially on the Gen2s, is big. While it affords good protection from spray, it also allows the bike to get blown all over the place. A common solution is to install a supermoto fender from Acerbis or Cycra or use a KTM fender. With a fork brace installed it is even possible to install the fender down low just like those odd German bikes that cost so much. If you don't want to be a Freddie, Fender of the supermoto variety is the way to go.

Installing the Acerbis, with a good photo comparison to stock
Modifying the stock Gen2 fender
Installation of a lowered fender, from a member's blog

Difficulty 2
Satisfaction 5
Importance 4
Cost 3

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Pretty sure I have a stock fender, and it gets pretty windy here and my rig has been very stable since I've had it. What gives?
This IS the stock fender right? http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a62/wogabo/09 KLR 650/
Yea that looks stock.

I have an 08...

What I noticed was a nervous front end in certain situations with the OEM front fender. Behind trucks, crosswinds towards the front of the bike, etc. I installed a Cycra supermoto fender and that feeling went away.

Maybe your fork brace stiffens up the front end enough that the fender doen't have much of an effect. Easy way to find out is to take the fender off and go for a ride and see if you notice anything.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe your fork brace stiffens up the front end enough that the fender doen't have much of an effect. Easy way to find out is to take the fender off and go for a ride and see if you notice anything.
I'll most likely be bored over xmas break, so I'll have to check that out. I do know my tall windscreen vs my stock windscreen make a HUGE difference when behind traffic and in wind.

·
Registered
14 Posts
New 2018 klr 650 owner I'm commuting to work on mine daily an I have no problem in the 70-80 mph range. I notice some wobble but not really much more than my dyna super glide. Without a doubt a fork stabilizer an a supermoto tire setup with a stiffer spring would help but that kinda takes away from what the purpose of the klr was built for. Just my two cents.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts