Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a heavily aftermarketed 2000 KLR...my new job allows me to ride alot, daily, including freeway and highway use. Since 50 mpg is so appealing, this bike is now my daily bike. Anyways, I first went with a 16t front sprocket for a few weeks, liked it but thought, "you know, I think this bike could handle a SEVENTEEN tooth countershaft sprocket really well". I ordered and installed it(not everyone makes it)....OMG, the bike just chugs smoothly along at 65-70 mph, it's wonderful! It doesn't even lug taking off in 1st, feels great for street use and would obviously be great for seriously long rides. I won't tackle single track game trails with this gearing(probably put my 14t on for that) but for all other uses, it's great.
SO, has anyone else ever gone to a 17t? I've never read or heard anyone ever doing this.....I did have to dremel the tiny bumps off the engine case behind the front sprocket AND cut out a small portion of the inside of the countershaft sprocket cover (plastic). It works so well, I'm taking the KLR for an around Nevada loop in 2 weeks INSTEAD of my Hayabusa. The labor is minimal, cost is $25....results are well worth it! Raydog

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So with no other factors, you're showing 33/3500r's at indicated 70?

well, with the 16t I was 72mph @ 4500rpm, now its 76-7 mph @ 4500rpm. So I'll have to look at other speeds....I just got back from another 60 miles of a workday and find that I'm in 4th gear far more than before...but....it's not that feeling that I'd better shift.....it's more like, "wow, now that I've picked up speed, I actually have another gear". I can't say anything negative about this! coming home with a tailwind @ 75-80 on the freeway, I was right in the sweet spot of both low exhaust note and torque curve (and I have a full Big Gun exhaust system). Raydog

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I use a 16T. It makes quite a difference. Never thought about a 17T!
That's why I took the time to explain my findings...I've had my KLR for 9 years now and when in the CO Rockies above 7500 ft, always off road, ran a 14t and rode with some pretty fast fellas. I've used a 16t alot with street and Hwy miles....then I thought (when running a 16t at 70 mph)...I bet this puppy could cruise with even higher gearing and even feel "less busy". Well it does and I'm very excited about it! Now I'm running the 1st full tank of gas through it and curious to ck the mpg (with 16t, it was always 50 mpg). BTW, I weigh 240 lbs.
Raydog

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes I can see that on the interstate and similar roads that a 17T could be a good thing.

If only the user manual was correct about the 6th gear.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Raydog, On my '08, I have been using 15/40 gearing since at the time I could not find a 16t c/s. I have been on that ratio for over 5k mi..
15/40t gearing gave me similar ratios as 16/43 does. So, like you, I want to go taller still. I will put a 16t with the 40t to enhance that long legged feel. I like tall gearing. The stock gear ratio had me in high gear as soon as I rolled out of the parking lot. Now I have more gearbox to use.
Where did you find 16t and 17t sprockets?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kent, dial up motorcycle sprockets on Google....then find someone that deals with Sunstar sprockets. I checked and could only find a 17t made by this company (all others stopped @ 16t). I do not know if Gen I and Gen II KLR's share the same sprocket configuration (countershaft spline size, etc.). If you only need a 16t, maybe there's no problem. You are so right about liking tall gearing, 3 weeks out and I'll only go back to a 14for trail riding! Let me know your results.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Raydog, do you or anyone else know if late model klr's use the same countershaft sprocket as the previous version klr's?

A word to the wise for anyone contemplating taller gearing: the sacrifice is paid in the slow stuff. I try to carry more momenutm, (using 15/40 rearing)and use a little clutch work to keep things moving in spots where first gear is taller than I would really like.

With 17/43 gearing, 1st gr will be like 2nd gr was with oem gearing.
I tested my bike's ability to take off in second gear, in several situations prior to going to 15/40, after using that for awhile, now I want to go up to 16/40, that'll be a slightly taller ratio (2.5:1)than 17/43 (2.53:1)

I appreciate the good info shared here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kent, you are right...obviously the uphill/singletrack performance will suffer. I remember needing a lower first gear with STOCK gearing. Like Farrington though, I am 95/5 now and will be going to full street tires as well. Update....I still LOVE the 17t! (suprisingly though, my gas mileage has stayed @ +-49mpg). Raydog

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh I forgot....I have no idea if the c/shafts are the same(gen I vrs gen II)...you could compare OEM part numbers to see. Raydog

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Make sure the wires in the counter sprocket area clear the counter sprocket and all the garbage that is collected.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I too ride soley street...I went from all the way the other way....14/47(just to see) to 16/43 at the moment(well sort of, we have snow, ice etc for another 4 months!) I thought it best to stay away from the 17 myself just for the possiblity of catching those wires etc in the front area around the sprocket. I will try a raer sprocket next summer one size down from the 43 whatever that is over the 17 front. Besides...sprockets are cheap!

By the way..I have a 14/47 combo for sale...seen one weekends use on road only.....can you say GRUNT!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
We need a 6 speed box, like it shows in the owners manual.

I am using the 16T and seems to work for me.. I live about 10 miles off pavement and the 16T works very well on regular dirt roads.

The KLR is to heavy for me off road but I got it for pavement and dirt roads and for that it works really well. John Wesley got an 08 not long ago and he agreed that it is a pig off road, John is the CMA dual sport manager and he does a lot of off road work. Glad it's not just me.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts