Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out doing more "break-in" miles today and I noticed a pretty major/weird problem. When shifting through the gears, first through 3rd seem to work pretty good. Then when I shift into 4th gear, it acts like it does not engage fully. It will sometimes pop back into 3rd gear (making the RPMs fly up), or will not shift into other gears, or will sometimes grind and pop out of gear completely. I have to hold the shift level up and drive then after a few seconds it will "click" into gear properly. 5th gear does this a little bit, but not near as much as 4th gear.
After experimenting and testing some more, I found that if I hold the clutch in, then shift up, and let the clutch out while I am holding the shift lever up still... it will engage fine. This also works for shifting down. If I hold the shift lever until the clutch is all the way released, it works 95% of the time. However, this is a major pain in the butt (and difficult) to have to hold the shift lever for each gear.
Anyone have any ideas on what this could be?? I don't understand why 4th and 5th are the only two with problems... and why it seems to work by holding up/down the shift lever?

This has only been a problem after recently completely changing engine casing (transferring all parts). Also, I installed a used clutch because my clutch broke during removal. The "new" clutch was tight with the plates unlike my clutch(I did some slight filing in order to get plates to slide in smoothly). I also added the 685 piston. And am currently using Rotella T 15w40 oil. Any ideas on what to check would be appreciated! I realllly don't want to open the case again if I can avoid it! Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I was out doing more "break-in" miles today and I noticed a pretty major/weird problem. When shifting through the gears, first through 3rd seem to work pretty good. Then when I shift into 4th gear, it acts like it does not engage fully. It will sometimes pop back into 3rd gear (making the RPMs fly up), or will not shift into other gears, or will sometimes grind and pop out of gear completely. I have to hold the shift level up and drive then after a few seconds it will "click" into gear properly. 5th gear does this a little bit, but not near as much as 4th gear.
After experimenting and testing some more, I found that if I hold the clutch in, then shift up, and let the clutch out while I am holding the shift lever up still... it will engage fine. This also works for shifting down. If I hold the shift lever until the clutch is all the way released, it works 95% of the time. However, this is a major pain in the butt (and difficult) to have to hold the shift lever for each gear.
Anyone have any ideas on what this could be?? I don't understand why 4th and 5th are the only two with problems... and why it seems to work by holding up/down the shift lever?

This has only been a problem after recently completely changing engine casing (transferring all parts). Also, I installed a used clutch because my clutch broke during removal. The "new" clutch was tight with the plates unlike my clutch(I did some slight filing in order to get plates to slide in smoothly). I also added the 685 piston. And am currently using Rotella T 15w40 oil. Any ideas on what to check would be appreciated! I realllly don't want to open the case again if I can avoid it! Thanks!!

I haven't been inside a KLR tranmission but 4th and 5th probably have their own shift fork. My guess is that the fork is bent or not engaging the shift dogs correctly somehow. The dogs could be worn too I guess. Holding the shift lever is forcing the engagement. Have to go back in to fix it :t1204:

How motorcycle tranmissions work.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like I will have to go deeper, and split the case again (where I might need a new head gasket)! When testing the shifting by hand, the star (shift drum) turns well first through third gear. Then I noticed the star thingy does not fully turn/engage while shifting into 4th. I will take the clutch off tomorrow to check this out more. Unfortunately, I did not notice anything wrong with the spring as. Although, I do not know how tight/springy it should be? It was in place but seems kinda of loose?

This is sounding more and more like a bend fork? Could I have tightened the star shift drum too much?
And, any ideas how I could have bent the shift fork? I have yet to see any metal shavings in my oil.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Here is a videos recent findings. Any ideas?

I don't have an answer but I would suggest getting ahold of WymanWinn over on klr650.net. He's been into lots of KLR motors. Eagle Mike would would be another one to ask.

Looking at the video I'm thinking the play on the clutch shaft is probably normal, could be wrong. Without a load on the trans there would be some slop I think. All the gears are meshed except when in neutral The shift shaft is ratcheting the shift drum and the forks are sliding in the drum's grooves. Seems to me that's where the problems is something is stopping the the drum from rotating. When you wiggle the clutch shaft whatever it is is freed up and the drum rotates into postion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts