Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Gen 1 at the top of Francis Peak (UT), a couple of weeks ago.

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Fanbelt 
#1 ·
Nothing fancy, just a normal 2004 KLR I bought this last April (2022) as my very first dual sports bike. Have been riding dirt roads every time I can since then and I keep wondering why did I wait so long to leave the pavement?

A couple of weeks ago I took it up Farmington Canyon for the third time and found that, although closed, the fork up to Francis Peak was snow free. Went around the gate and kept riding up. Turns out they had finally bulldozed the snow away almost all the way up to the radar station.

The first photo is right before reaching the station itself at the very top. Had a little bit of a challenge overcoming that stretch of iced snow. Good thing KLRs are light!.

The second photo is facing the radar installation once I reached the top. You can see the snow I picked up still trapped between the engine and the skid plate.

The third (last) photo is looking down from the top. Kaysville and Layton are below. And farther away, the Great Salt Lake.

Wheel Sky Tire Cloud Snow

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Sky Tire Cloud Water

See less See more
#9 ·
I got it from eBay and I love it for what I use it: a small 20L dry bag saddlebag set (from CycleGear) I use on longer trips. See the picture below. Other than that, it is considerably flimsy for other uses, the most common being grabbing it to lift or push the bike. You feel it bending if you do. Every time I need to push or pull the bike (like from some sand or mud) I have to remind myself to grab it from the rear rack support instead.
Fuel tank Wheel Tire Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.