Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
I received all of the parts for the gen 1 ignition conversion and this is my first task to make sure these parts work before the kickstart addition and then wire harness minimizing/starter delete.
Why DELETE the electrical starter? Kickstarter and electrical starter remain compatible on KLR650s.

(KLR250 is, kickstarter only.)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Why DELETE the electrical starter? Kickstarter and electrical starter remain compatible on KLR650s.

(KLR250 is, kickstarter only.)
Get rid of the battery as well. Pull off the starter button/kill switch, starter gears, starter and all associated wiring. I plan on a small wiring box behind the coolant overflow tank. Mostly just OCD tinkering. I know it is silly.

·
Administrator
8,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Because Hai Karate is no longer made and the best available substitute is a kick-start-only two-smoke twin of large displacement. Since two-smokes have been all but outlawed, the KLR comes in at a knuckle-dragging second place being a carburetted thumper and all that neat shit.

Substitute a healthy kick for the squirt seen here in this here scene to see and properly visualize that which must naturally ensue (or is it 'ensee'?):

Reactions: Vernmented

·
Registered
96 Posts
Because Hai Karate is no longer made and the best available substitute is a kick-start-only two-smoke twin of large displacement. Since two-smokes have been all but outlawed, the KLR comes in at a knuckle-dragging second place being a carburetted thumper and all that neat shit.

Substitute a healthy kick for the squirt seen here in this here scene to see and properly visualize that which must naturally ensue (or is it 'ensee'?):
As a straight man that works on a fruit farm I really appreciate that commercial. I even converted my yard into an experimental orchard/breeding project. That lime reminds me of ponderosa lemons. Everyone knows that Durian is the real pantydropper though.

HI-YAH!!

·
Administrator
8,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
We just had the bees finish off the pollination of the kumquats. It took them four days and it looks like we are going to have a bumper crop this year. I predict we could be into the 70s for the kumquat marmalade jar count. Good thing; we barely cracked 50 this year and I may run out of marmalade before next May.

We're also set to have a record crop on the tangerine tree if the squirrels don't eat them.

I have threatened to chop down the lime tree, as threatening to chop them down usually results in them blooming. If I do chop it down I may try an apple tree. But never a Dorian. Them things will knock a buzzard off a shit wagon.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Get rid of the battery as well.
Mind the DMV inspection criteria in your area. Some jurisdictions require, "lights on with engine stopped," for legal road use.

You might need four or so D-cell batteries, or a miner's carbide lantern to be street legal.

Not "legal" consideration, but . . . NHRA rules required operating headlights for street class drag race entries. Saw a Harley at Fontana (or was it, Lions, Long Beach?) with a carbide lantern fastened to the front forks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Those carbide lanterns are hilarious. I had to look it up. Florida is still pretty wild. No inspections that I know of. When I sent off to reregister since it had been a couple years, they just sent me my new plate with sticker already on it. You don't even (really) need insurance here unless the accident is your fault. My registration still says my bike is green.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well I stripped the wire sheath on the ignition and it seems the resistor is all up in the guts where they definitely don't want you to go. I supposed I will have to drill out the bolts and open it up.

·
Administrator
8,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Scroll down about 3/4 of the way through the article to see the insides of a Gen 2 ignition switch.

Reactions: Vernmented

·
Administrator
8,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Are you trying to salvage the resistor for use in a revised harness? It would be more better to go down to an electronics store and buy a card of resistors. Too bad RadioShack is gone. Well, you could try the Hobby Town over on Brevard in Arcadia. They are supposed to have a RadioShack Express. I've no idea what an RSE is. They should just give up and hang themselves already. It' over.

Pity about the decline of electronics hobby shops, especially when you have Arrow Electronics right there on Webber Road. They will sell you one resistor, but that is adding a whole bunch of entropy to the universe.

Reactions: Norton 850

·
Registered
96 Posts
Luckily I have rebuilt guitar tube amp heads and have quite a few resistors stashed away and the local electronics store is still around. I praise them every time I go in there. Nice research! I use Sarasota Electronics on 12th st. They even have an old custom mural paint job on the wall of exploding resistors and capacitors and whatnot. I think they were mostly geared towards commercial TV and appliance repair. The last of a dying breed in a world of planned obsolescence. Meanwhile I keep repairing my mid 90s washer/dryer/fridge. TVs....not worth the trouble unless it is a weak link capacitor issue on a new model.

Does the resistor need to go back in the wiring somewhere when using the Gen1 CDI? I thought it had to be eliminated for it to work.

A hidden toggle may be in my future and scrap the key. I still have my Kryptonite New York locks from living in the hood if I need to park somewhere for an extended amount of time.

·
Administrator
8,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Yes, the resistor has to come out if you make the switch to the Gen1 ignition system and No, id doesn't go back anywhere.. Otherwise, it sees the 100 ohm path as a short and won't function.

Not much research. I already knew about Arrow in Sarasota (I think they may be affiliated with Mouser; they use the same webpage software) and I just figured that RadioShack might still be functional, so I looked them up.

We used to have Signal Electronics, whereby hangs epic tales. I knew the owner. Worked for him for a while. His lawyer's name was Rich Mann. Together they made a declaration of bankruptcy and Rich managed to have the BK sale on Sunday morning at the crack of dawn. Jimmy was the only bidder and he bought all his stuff back for pennies on the dollar. Another trick was his annual give-a-way to a lucky customer who entered the free raffle by writing their phone number on their sales receipt*. He had two stores and, somehow, Store #1 always won Store #2's raffle and vice versa. He did teach me that I needed to learn to write legibly and he demonstrated, quite effectively, how to *think outside the box. They went out of business after Jimmy died (it took them 10 years to sell off all the crap, then they went out of business. I don't think they bought a dime's worth of inventory in those 10 years) and all we have now is Torrance Electronics. I haven't been there in a long time. It's sort of in the hood and the parking is bad.

·
Administrator
8,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Tom, how did you remove the resistor from the ignition switch? Was it easily accessed when you opened up the plastic sheath around it's wires? I received all of the parts for the gen 1 ignition conversion and this is my first task to make sure these parts work before the kickstart addition and then wire harness minimizing/starter delete.
Sorry, Josh, I missed this post.

I disassembled the switch and unsoldered it. Probably safer to just clip it out.

And now I know why you were asking those questions...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Here is my crudely edited version. The pink highlights don't mean anything on mine, just remnants of Tom's original. The vapor stuff is not listed. No battery/electric start. Kickstart only.

I don't know if this will work. I see the white and brown wire from the rectifier are connected when the ignition switch is keyed on. The white wire was also connected to the starter relay and positive battery terminal in the original wiring. I'm fine with tracing wires and the basic concepts of each part but there is a lot to learn. Do I completely omit the white wire from the rectifier? Is that only used for charging the battery? The ignition switch would then act to only ground the power from the exciter coil to the CDI. If that is the case I wouldn't even bother wiring the brown wire to the ignition switch.

wasKLRwiring1.jpg
wasKLRwiring1.jpg

·
Registered
217 Posts
After reading all of Tom’s tribulations in converting his Gen 2, if I ever decide to go for a KLR a kickstart bike, I’ll start with a Gen 1!

Question for Tom and Damocles about the Gen 1 CDI vs Gen 2 TCI ignition: does one have a higher energy spark than the other, or about the same? CDI boxes are sure a lot cheaper than TCI boxes.

·
Administrator
8,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
...Gen 1 CDI vs Gen 2 TCI ignition: does one have a higher energy spark than the other, or about the same? CDI boxes are sure a lot cheaper than TCI boxes.
I don't know, I rather doubt there is a significant difference. I have never tested one versus the other with a spark gap thingamajiggy or any other quantitative method.

My go-to method for determining if there is a spark is to grab hold of the high tension lead and crank it over. I've done it with both TCBI and CDI and they both give you a pretty good jolt.

Reactions: pdwestman

·
Administrator
8,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Twatwaffle: "My bike doesn't have any spark and it won't start. What do I do? What do I do? Help me."
Tom: "How do you know it doesn't have any spark? That is a rather rare thing, not to have spark. The bits and pieces that make spark are robust and reliable, unlike you. Have you tested it?"
Twatwaffle: "Yes, I stuck a nail in that rubber thing and held it next to the cylinder head and cranked it over and there was no spark. Help me."
Tom: "You realize that we're out in the sunlight and you probably wouldn't be able to see the spark, don't you? Don't you have a better way to check the spark? Can't you think of a more definitive way to check for spark?"
Twatwaffle: "There was no spark. I am certain. My bike is broken. It has a bad CDI. Help me."
Tom: "You seem to be standing in a puddle of piddle. You seem overwrought and stressed out. Use your words; tell me."
Twatwaffle: "I feel threatened. It is not safe here. There are many micro-aggressions coming at me. Help me."
Tom: "All right, I hate to see you whining and scratching yourself raw; I will check for spark. GAH! Frick! Mother bear! You've got spark you useless twatwaffle. From now on your First People's name is Boobs on a Boar. Get away from me. You are a fluke of the universe. The best part of you ran down..; never mind. If I were in charge of handing out penises you wouldn't have received one. You have spark, go figure out what your problem is. If I see you again I will hit you."

Other than making me a bit edgy I don't think the practice has affected me in any way.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts