Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
I noted something from perusing my Clymer Gen 1 and Gen 2 manuals the other night: the recommended spark plug gap for both models is the same, so that indicates the spark energy is probably similar.
Just a comment; we're talking about the difference in capacitive discharge ignition, and inductive discharge ignition; respectively, Generation 1 vs. Generation 2. While the energy from each may average about the same, with identical spark plug gaps, the characteristics of spark delivery vary considerably, e.g., spark intensity vs. rpm, etc.

Also, as you know, if you can't get about 12 VDC from a battery or bump-starting, you ain't goin' nowhere with the latter-day inductive discharge ignition. Thankfully (speaking from my own experience), the CDI-sparked Generation 1 don't need no stinkin' 12 volts to run. If it did, I might be still, "somewhere, in Virginia, in the rain" (when my lithium battery instantly chain-reacted and melted down).

Detail unrelated to the ignition: Replacing the grenaded lithium battery (with a lead-acid one) was a small thing, regarding effort. Not so, replacing every single light bulb on the bike (including the trick Canadian headlight), burned out from the voltage surge as I rode home, 'specially the instrument panel assortment. Otherwise, until the lithium battery departed this world, it performed most satisfactorily as advertised.

·
Premium Member
8,284 Posts
Detail unrelated to the ignition: Replacing the grenaded lithium battery (with a lead-acid one) was a small thing, regarding effort. Not so, replacing every single light bulb on the bike (including the trick Canadian headlight), burned out from the voltage surge as I rode home, 'specially the instrument panel assortment. Otherwise, until the lithium battery departed this world, it performed most satisfactorily as advertised.
WOW! Now that is interesting.

I'm glad that my bike still has an old style H4 bulb in it, and I do hope that the WPS Lithium battery never fails in the manner that yours did! I've currently got a fuel leak/drip from the rear tank mounting bracket. :(

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,095 Posts
Lemme make sure I interpret Tom’s comment correctly.

Did you ride it home (or to wherever you were going) with the bad battery? That is, you rode it essentially without a battery in the charging system. If so, I can see why you burned out all the lights on the bike. You are aware, I’m sure, that the voltage regulator requires a quasi-functioning battery to smooth out voltage variations. Did you also damage the tach or other components?

61 - 66 of 66 Posts