Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 KLR 650
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed to replace my poor rusty stock headlight badly. I love the JNS light but couldn't afford it right now. Top notch product. If you want plug and play, JNS is the ticket. What I do have is time and imagination. There is a ton of 4" x 6" led lamps out there. Dimensions vary. Took a gamble and ordered these with a thought that I could make a bracket for the back. A couple of days of cutting and welding, I made a mount that works well, screws onto the back of the new light and is adjustable. The lamp has 4 small screws covered in goo that I took out and used the holes. I also have a spare light now. Comes as a pair. Great illumination, terrific cut-off line and bright. The mounting bracket is primitive and really doesn't take too much imagination to make. I need to do a little tweaking on the mount to get the light square in the hole and my bike isn't completely upright for the photo of the light patterns.

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design
Building Hall Asphalt Flooring Floor
Flooring Floor Gas Wood Tints and shades

·
Registered
2005 KLR650
199 Posts
Lookin good!

I have the DOT JNS headlight. I definitely like it, but it seems like what you've got accomplishes pretty much the same thing with a bit of ingenuity. (y)(y)

Also, to make you feel better, the JNS light isn't perfect. It would really benefit from a way to adjust the vertical angle without removing the faring.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Lookin good!

I have the DOT JNS headlight. I definitely like it, but it seems like what you've got accomplishes pretty much the same thing with a bit of ingenuity. (y)(y)

Also, to make you feel better, the JNS light isn't perfect. It would really benefit from a way to adjust the vertical angle without removing the faring.
I ran the DOT JNS LED and remember the adjustment could be reached without removing the fairing. If I recall, you could get to it from below reaching vertically. On regular mode I found it not very bright, on Hi it was better but not all that impressive IMO.

·
Registered
2005 KLR650
199 Posts
shrug
It's drastically improved from the stock incandescent. I need to adjust mine up a little, but I find it covers well and has a distinct cutoff.
High beam is a spot front and center, not a flood like a lot of other lights.

Auxiliary lights are better for wide area coverage, IMO.

·
Premium Member
12,006 Posts
On regular mode I found it not very bright, on Hi it was better but not all that impressive IMO.
I felt that the JNS DOT LED headlamp that a customer had me install on a Gen 1 was absolutely DIM on low beam.
The cut-off level was fine on the garage wall. but simply too DIM on low beam.

I felt High beam was nice & bright & properly focused for night riding on the sparely traveled WY highways, but low beam was simply too DIM for any night riding, even around the neighborhood with kids. I did take it for a night ride, with customer permission.

Reactions: Pig685

·
Registered
2001 KLR
53 Posts
This is how I ride. Riding through the many tunnels in my neighborhood became much more comfortable with the aux lights. JNS engineering mounts are super. I also installed the heavy acryllic lense cover to protect my investment, and Eagle Mike Fork Brace with an Acerbis Moto Fender. Then I decided that my fully loaded moto with me (250lb) needed some braking so.........Tusk Rotor Kit. I can provide the data on all the goods if you are so interested.
Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motorcycle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Didn't mean to highjack the thread. Sorry. Just really dig the whole lighting and front end aesthetic haha.

Wavey

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

1 - 7 of 7 Posts