Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there first time poster. Needing some help with my 87 gen 1 got a used speedometer as p o had stuck a klr 250 speedometer on ( hard to get a used speedometer in the UK) Got it on the bike and took it a 4 mile round trip but the milage on the bikes says I did 16 miles? Anyone any idea why this could be? Any help would be appreciated thanks
Gauge Motor vehicle Measuring instrument Gas Auto part

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi there first time poster. Needing some help with my 87 gen 1 got a used speedometer as p o had stuck a klr 250 speedometer on ( hard to get a used speedometer in the UK) Got it on the bike and took it a 4 mile round trip but the milage on the bikes says I did 16 miles? Anyone any idea why this could be? Any help would be appreciated thanks
I will just ask is the front tire a 90/90/21?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for the late reply Grant. Had a look at the tyre doesnt say on the tyre but its a bridgestone trailwing 301 51p 3.00 x 21 thats the markings on the tyre

·
Administrator
4,371 Posts
Between your two pictures I see approx. 3.5 on the odometer and 2.5 on the trip. When you went for the ride were you using a GPS to compare too? Maybe try again over a greater distance.

·
Administrator
4,371 Posts
Just had another thought. Wouldn’t bikes imported to the UK have been fitted with speedometer /odometer in kilometres?? Not sure where the calibration for that would be, if it is internal to the speedometer or part of the gearing driven by the wheel.

Reactions: Thumper23

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply no didnt have a gps on just used goggle maps to calculate the distance and wee use mph in the uk although I did get the used clocks state side

·
Registered
410 Posts
My '06 KLR speedo is almost 5 mph optimistic at 60 according to my Garmin 360. It becomes even less accurate at higher speeds.

The '99 Superhawk speedo is even worse. The '06 Ducati is almost spot on up to 100, then...not so much. '87 BMW K100 is the best up to 115...after that...who cares?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My '06 KLR speedo is almost 5 mph optimistic at 60 according to my Garmin 360. It becomes even less accurate at higher speeds.

The '99 Superhawk speedo is even worse. The '06 Ducati is almost spot on up to 100, then...not so much. '87 BMW K100 is the best up to 115...after that...who cares?
Its not about the speed its about the milage its putting on the clocks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Between your two pictures I see approx. 3.5 on the odometer and 2.5 on the trip. When you went for the ride were you using a GPS to compare too? Maybe try again over a greater distance.
Think i have messed up, just realised the last digit on my speedometer in white isnt 1 mile? Is this whats throwing me off

·
Premium Member
10,777 Posts
Glad that you figured it out. As there would be no mechanical way that I could think of for that major error to have happened.

Even if one had installed a MPH face plate onto a KPH meter it would have only been about 38% off on odometer count, I think.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts