Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What options do we have for upgrade of the Gen 2 front brake?
Tusk, EBC rotor? Different master cylinder?
What improvement can be expected?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have the Eagle Mike EBC rotor and caliper bracket, which reduces brake lever effort without reducing feel.

This brake rotor is definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

Best,

Jason

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
66 Posts
Looks like it's required and available from EM...

From their website:

Requires special caliper adapter plate for 2008 and later. Special caliper plate is stainless steel, made in USA by Eagle. Be sure to order the adapter plate if you have a 2008/later

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,854 Posts
I see what you mean, the EM 'special stainless steel adapter plate' for the Gen 2 320mm EBC Front Brake rotor seems to be MIA. Send EM an e-mail & be patient.
Or purchase the Galfer kit.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I put the Galfer rotor and brake line kit on my 15 KLR. Very happy with the front brake now, not so happy with the original set up for mostly street use. The only problem I had with the kit was with pads that I managed to burn through in about 2500mi and the backing plate touched the rotor and scored it. I called up Galfer and spoke to them, they asked me for the numbers on the back of the pads which I gave them. They replaced the rotor and the pads without any issues. Kind of makes me wonder what the hell type of pads kit the had in it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike replied to my email saying the plate is back ordered a few more days, but I could order it and he’d send it out when ready.
Such a pleasure doing business with him. Now I just need the bucks!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Just cleaning the disk and pads can make a noticeable difference. Recently while replacing the rear brake fluid I also cleaned the disk and pads. I accidentally caused the rear tire to skid several times using my normal braking pressure until I got used to the increased stopping power.

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
OK,

The adaptor for the Gen2 is just a relocation bracket to move the stock caliper outboard for use with the 320mm rotor. On the Gen1, EM's has an adaptor to use the "SV" twin piston caliper with the 320mm rotor.

Since the Gen2 already has a twin piston caliper, there wasn't much uptake for the Gen2 SV caliper adaptor. On a Gen1, the SV caliper, EM adaptor, EBC 320mm rotor and ss line (russel from EM for me) is the bomb. On the Gen2 just use the 320mm EBC with the SS line and stock caliper relocation bracket. The SV caliper IS better than the Gen2 but not enough to bother with unless you want that extra 5-10%......and, at this time, I believe your only option would be to build your own bracket.

My stock MC's work great with the SV caliper; they only affect effort anyhow.

2 cents,
Dave

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yes, improved (less) effort is what I’m after. Front braking the Ducati V4S with its dual disk then braking the KLR with 1 disk is such a massive difference in effort. Granted, I’ll never get dual disk performance on the KLR, but I think the 40 mm larger disk will be worthwhile.

I put on new pads, the OEM pads were gone. After that it needed a lot more force. I sanded the disk glaze which improved quite a bit. Might improve some after the pads break in more, but ultimately I’ll put on the larger disk.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your input.

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
Yes, improved (less) effort is what I’m after. Front braking the Ducati V4S with its dual disk then braking the KLR with 1 disk is such a massive difference in effort. Granted, I’ll never get dual disk performance on the KLR, but I think the 40 mm larger disk will be worthwhile.

I put on new pads, the OEM pads were gone. After that it needed a lot more force. I sanded the disk glaze which improved quite a bit. Might improve some after the pads break in more, but ultimately I’ll put on the larger disk.
I agree that the larger disk is worthwhile. Playing with different MC's may help effort if you find one with a longer lever and due to the differences in volume. Some people have used the Ninja 650 Master (I have a knock off around here somewhere if you want it), and I have another friend that used a CBR radial MC with apparent good results. For me, I just wanted the brakes to work better so the larger rotor (more mechanical advantage), increased pad area (increased co-efficient of friction) did the trick and combined with the SS line for less lever travel and I'm fine.......but effort wasn't a concern for me; I have pretty strong hands from years of offroad racing/riding.

The KLR doesn't need a dual disk setup at it's weight IMO; the mods we're talking about do the trick.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
66 Posts
At about 20,000 miles I treated my Gen 2 to new pads, cleaned & sanded the stock the rotor and changed to a SS line. That did the trick for me. The bike is shod with Shinko 805s and I can squeal the front knobby at 60 mph with that setup. You could try that first and then go to the larger rotor if that wasn't enough.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts