Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a non-locking fuel cap option using OEM tank, maybe where I can get one... I hate locking caps...

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Gotta ask. Just curious. No offense intended as I really don't see the need for them, myself. Why do you dislike locking fuel tank caps?

I suppose it would kinda suck if the lock mechanism failed and you couldn't get it open......

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No offense taken...
It is just a personal thing with me after a "57 Olds 98 I had in the late 80's had a locking cap I could not get off on a trip.
Locking caps were better then, made of metal and it became NIGHTMARE.
On that car the cap is under the tail-light, (hinges up), I broke all kinds of sh$t trying to get it off and swore to never own a locking cap again.

Call me weird... it's ok

Cap on my klr works fine, I would just rather see it on a shelf...

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
I know of no cap that would replace the stock cap.

However, the cap is a simple thing and easy to disassemble. I could sorta see a way to pull the cylinder and disable it, then fab a key with a knob on it that would turn the cylinder.

I keep a key in mine at all times. I've been thinking of taking it to a lock smith to see if a key blank could be cut down to make a very short key (the cap cylinder doesn't as many pins as the ignition; a key blank only needs to be an inch long or so) and fitting a knob to it so that I don't have the hari-kari key sticking out of the cap. The same key ought to work the helmet lock.

Tom

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tom: Thats been a thought of mine also, just don't want to end up with a worst problem, May get a tank and cap off Ebay and play with it...

Thanks.

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
Thinking about this some. This is my harikari key that I keep in the tank. The head is lopped off on the side because my helmet lock is hard up against my top case.

The key only inserts into the cap to the red line.

One could cut it off at the blue line and modify a knob (cleverly represented by the yellow orb) to fit.

Whether one disables the lock or not is individual preference. I think it would be easier just to have a low-profile key there.

Tom

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Thanks, Ralph Nader and stooges who forget to put their gas caps back on securely and then sue the manufacturer for a "design flaw" when gas comes out of the tank and catches fire.

You've got a few gallons of highly flammable liquid contained a few inches in front of your crotch. Might be something you wanna remember.

I suppose the lock might also prevent pissed-off ex-girlfriends from pouring water or sugar into your gas tank since they're not aware the oil filler cap is a more efficient means of introducing damaging foreign objects into the engine.......

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tom: Great idea...

planalp: You bring up some great points although I never had a problem in the passed maybe it's just better to leave it as designed...

Thanks
Gordon

·
Registered
623 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread...... maybe there are keyless cap options now?

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
IMS Plastic fuel tanks are available with plastic screw on caps like a dirt bike.
And one could apparently convert the locking cap style like Toms 10 gallon IMS to a screw-on cap.
(I think the locking style is the same size as the Racing Dry Break style)

https://www.imsproducts.com/Products/index.cfm?TypeSet=Screw Cap Adapter&seD=true&tyD=true&maD=true

Kind of expensive, just to eliminate a lock though. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts