Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I apologize if this topic has been beat to death, but as my first and only post I wanted to add an excellent upgrade.

Led’s Vs Hid’s continues which is better.

My experiences for bikes and cars “so far”😊

Led’s Now - as expensive as hids, smaller total package, color excellent, annoying fans, large heat sinks that do not fit in rubber headlight boots, work well with reflectors, my opinion not as much light as hid, use less power

HID’s now - getting cheaper every day, much larger package with ballast and igniter, only last 15000 hrs, made for projectors not reflectors, much greater light output.

Finally, what I have to add. I have used several times deAutoLED H7RC universal HID kit for reflector housings . Unlike other HID bulbs, the bulbs are shorter and have shields built into the bulb to duplicate the pattern of a halogen bulb. The result is amazing. The high and low beam each gets its own bulb. The pattern for both high and low beam remain the same as factory only several times as bright. In addition, the ballasts are 35watt compared to halogen 55w. No problem with power requirements. I like that deAutoLED gives a lifetime warranty.

Installing was plug and play with “ a completely sealed headlight system . I did not like the leds because they were not protected from the elements. Both ballasts and igniters tuck nicely under the headlight. Whole job took about 2 hrs, the four bolts holding the front fairing was the biggest part of the job.

Any questions or comments, give a holllar!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention, second only to great light output was the very reasonable price. $112 for 2 lamps and complete plug and play wiring systems including shipping.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Forgot to mention, second only to great light output was the very reasonable price. $112 for 2 lamps and complete plug and play wiring systems including shipping.
On their website the price seems to be $134.
Is there some different model number for the KLR?
Are the two bulbs the same or different, given the high and low beam needs?
Did you select the 5000k model?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The price last week was $124 with a 10% discount leaving $112 free shipping. I ordered the 5000 k which normally has more lumens then 6000k. I used the universal H7RC HID kit which included 2 H7 HID bulbs both the same. The stock high and low beams use the same bulb but different reflectors.
I have been driving late at night here in south Florida, absolutely no street or house lights, what a difference from stock the previous week .
I purposely aim at cars to test the light pattern, the beam hits them just below the window.

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One item not mentioned is a round spacer is needed to seat the bulb. That spacer is described in the forum. I made mine from a 3/4” and 1/2” coupler. Cost about $2.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
I apologize if this topic has been beat to death, but as my first and only post I wanted to add an excellent upgrade.

Led’s Vs Hid’s continues which is better.

My experiences for bikes and cars “so far”😊

Led’s Now - as expensive as hids, smaller total package, color excellent, annoying fans, large heat sinks that do not fit in rubber headlight boots, work well with reflectors, my opinion not as much light as hid, use less power

HID’s now - getting cheaper every day, much larger package with ballast and igniter, only last 15000 hrs, made for projectors not reflectors, much greater light output.

Finally, what I have to add. I have used several times deAutoLED H7RC universal HID kit for reflector housings . Unlike other HID bulbs, the bulbs are shorter and have shields built into the bulb to duplicate the pattern of a halogen bulb. The result is amazing. The high and low beam each gets its own bulb. The pattern for both high and low beam remain the same as factory only several times as bright. In addition, the ballasts are 35watt compared to halogen 55w. No problem with power requirements. I like that deAutoLED gives a lifetime warranty.

Installing was plug and play with “ a completely sealed headlight system . I did not like the leds because they were not protected from the elements. Both ballasts and igniters tuck nicely under the headlight. Whole job took about 2 hrs, the four bolts holding the front fairing was the biggest part of the job.

Any questions or comments, give a holllar!
jrdjr, I think that you would enjoy having these HID lights on your bike.

https://www.klrforum.com/2008-klr650-wrenching-mod-questions/49297-hid-project.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts