Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think I'm going to offer a Gen 2 bypass kit where all you need to do is unplug the connector and plug a proper connector in that has a jumper in it...
I thought of making one of those so that if I ever needed to go back to stock, I could just pull out the middle connector and reconnect the two stock connectors. Put I didn't want to go to the hassle of ordering the proper connector, figuring out a way to jump it and still have the connections fit together (my electrical expertise is next to nil). That said, I'd be interested in one of those should you go to the trouble.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That got me thinking; I should offer a castration kit! It will comprise one ground lug suitable for 14-gauge insulated wire, 10 inches of wire and three inches of resin-core solder :wink2:.Jason
I opted not to go this route because 1. I had already done the sidestand switch bypass and didn't feel like rendering that endeavor a waste of time, and 2. I didn't feel like taking off the fairing. But thanks anyway for taking the time to put together the instructs.

·
Registered
279 Posts
My 2017 has an odd behaviour when the side stand is deployed in neutral sometimes but not always the engine will start to run rough or sometimes it will quit.
It will crank over but will not restart until the side stand is retracted. Then everything is normal again. I am going to bypass the switch.
I was going to remove the wires from the switch and splice them together with a heat shrink crimp butt connector.
The switches, side stand and clutch only deactivate the starter as I understand. Why would the engine be effected?

Terry

·
Registered
123 Posts
My 2017 has an odd behaviour when the side stand is deployed in neutral sometimes but not always the engine will start to run rough or sometimes it will quit.
It will crank over but will not restart until the side stand is retracted. Then everything is normal again. I am going to bypass the switch.
I was going to remove the wires from the switch and splice them together with a heat shrink crimp butt connector.
The switches, side stand and clutch only deactivate the starter as I understand. Why would the engine be effected?

Terry
If the side stand switch only deactivated the starter then it would not kill the engine when the bike is put in gear with the stand down which is what it is designed to do. The clutch switch is designed to prevent starting in gear without the clutch lever pulled.

·
Registered
5 Posts
reconnecting the clutch safety switch

G'day,

I have a slightly different problem, I need to reconnect the safety switches to pass a roadworthy inspection. The previous owner obviously did the safety switch mod.
I have fitted the sidestand safety switch, I removed the clutch safety switch and it has the small actuating "rod" broken off, no wires and no plug. I can jerry up something just to pass the roadworthy. I removed the fairing and located the diode block. I was unable to find any vacant plug down there. I peeled the black tape off the wires that attach to the block, there's short loops blu/red and blk/red wires come out and return into the plug at two separate spaces on the front of the plug when it's fitted into the small bracket. There's a second wire from where each of these short loops originated that disappears into the main loom.

My series of questions are,
are these two wires supposed to just loop in the plug? they look "factory"
if not do I connect some wires to them and then to the clutch switch?
if they are to remain looped where do I connect the wires from the clutch switch? I have peeled the protective tape cover off the group of wires back to the main loom, there's no wires that have been cut anywhere along that section.

thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts

Terry
I have a 2008 and mine does exactly the same intermitently. Not sure what the kick stand switch has to do with anything when the bike is in Neutral ?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Keeping the thread going.
I just bought a 08 and I’m going to do the kickstand bypass and leave the clutch switch as is being when I sit on my bike I alway pull the clutch lever in when I go to start them so the kickstand is going to be odd switch out.

·
Registered
122 Posts
When I looked at my stand switch to do the bypass the bottom fork part was broken so I didn’t need to do anything, it did it on its own so I’m leaving it as is.

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
The sidestand switch connector is just behind the frame, between the 6" long plastic panel & the battery.
One can simply cut the Switch wires Below the connector, strip 1/4" of insulation & use a crimp connector or solder.
One can even leave the switch in-place so it looks factory standard.

Next owner could simply plug in a new switch if desired.

Reactions: ranger56528

·
Registered
122 Posts
Being I just got this KLR when I went to do the switch bypass I didn’t realize that it was broken and in the up position so I didn’t need to do anything, the P.O never said anything about the switch lever being broken but wanted me to know the Doohickey was done using the torsion spring and how to access it through the hole in the shield. I’ve ridden the bike a few times now and all I can say is it ain’t no Harley which I’ve ridden the last 35+ years. It’s definitely a whole new style of riding that I need to get into slowly, practice practice practice is what I need to do.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts