Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never liked the fairing on GEN 2. Looks like a street bike fairing and it drops down in a way off road bikes' fairings do not.

Have been looking over the years for something that I could do about this, and the new KLR has a small fairing that looks much better than GEN 2's

Tank, side panels,analog instruments, all that is ok with me on GEN 2 except the fairing.

Anybody gave this issue a thought ? ?

·
Premium Member
3,948 Posts
I agree the Gen3 looks much better. Unfortunately the shrouds are integrated with the fairing and one would still need crash bars to protect what is likely expensive ABS plastic......oh well, gotta keep those aftermarket companies going.

Dave

·
Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am brainstorming about this matter. You know the fairing is separated (in gen 2) from the side fairing pieces so it can be modified w/o altering the lower/side parts

On the upper fairing, the subject of this discussion, there are 4 parts. One, the windshield. the next is the central black housing where the headlamp, windshield and side pieces bolt on. Then we have as mentioned, those side pieces that bulk out, two pieces, bringing the account to 4 pieces (glass, center part, 2 side pieces)

If we were to take off those two side pieces, the fairing takes a leaner, straighter, not bulbous a shape it has stock.

Replacing those side pieces with more straight parts would take away that street bike fairing look.

Another way to raise up the fairing would be to check the diagram for the fairing parts, there are mounting points for the fairing on the faring bracket behind, by means of some metal plates or extra brackets the whole fairing could be elevated a few inches.

I also though about a combination of replacing those bulbous side parts on this upper fairing plus raising the fairing on its mounting points, giving the fairing a more vertical look, just that black plastic center part with the windshield on, with a new look, not wide and low as it is now.

Another idea would be the elimination of the stock headlamp, that allowing for the elimination of the lower part of the fairing, that black horizontal part were it edges the headlamp, taking away that low section on the fairing, and using instead, two round aftermarket LED lamps mounted on the fairing bellow the windshield.

Will search for some photos and drawings to illustrate later in the day

·
Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am brainstorming about this matter. You know the fairing is separated (in gen 2) from the side fairing pieces so it can be modified w/o altering the lower/side parts

On the upper fairing, the subject of this discussion, there are 4 parts. One, the windshield. the next is the central black housing where the headlamp, windshield and side pieces bolt on. Then we have as mentioned, those side pieces that bulk out, two pieces, bringing the account to 4 pieces (glass, center part, 2 side pieces)

If we were to take off those two side pieces, the fairing takes a leaner, straighter, not bulbous a shape it has stock.

Replacing those side pieces with more straight parts would take away that street bike fairing look.

Another way to raise up the fairing would be to check the diagram for the fairing parts, there are mounting points for the fairing on the faring bracket behind, by means of some metal plates or extra brackets the whole fairing could be elevated a few inches.

I also though about a combination of replacing those bulbous side parts on this upper fairing plus raising the fairing on its mounting points, giving the fairing a more vertical look, just that black plastic center part with the windshield on, with a new look, not wide and low as it is now.

Another idea would be the elimination of the stock headlamp, that allowing for the elimination of the lower part of the fairing, that black horizontal part were it edges the headlamp, taking away that low section on the fairing, and using instead, two round aftermarket LED lamps mounted on the fairing bellow the windshield.

Will search for some photos and drawings to illustrate later in the day
The side covers can be separated from the upper fairing , making it narrower.

The piece that holds the headlamp and windshield is bolted onto the fairing bracket, mounting points could be elevated using metal plates with appropriate holes drilled in

·
Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also thought about eliminating the stock headlamp , and installing two round aftermarket LED lamps

This photo gives us the idea, it is a completely different bike but the idea is expressed

·
Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If removing the stock headlamp assembly, the lower edge of the headlamp housing as seen in picture could be cut off, adding a support beam higher in the assembly where the assembly taking away that pointy droopy front end of the fairing Adding two LED headlamps .... would be an awesome fairing !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts