Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can it be done?

The header pipe on my '08 has a warped "gasket seat" (for lack of a better term) due to the fact that I was running with HALF A GASKET RING SINCE I'VE OWNED THE BIKE. I just found this out today, trying to diagnose my backfire. I think I found the problem :) but I'm hoping to spend $45 bucks on a used Gen I header pipe as opposed to $200 new Gen II.

·
Registered
303 Posts
If I understand correctly, they can be mounted up (at least you can go the other way.)
I'm not sure you'd want to, something about it being smaller/more restrictive.

You might try hitting up ebay and looking for used second gen parts, and hitting up the sellers to see if they have the head pipe.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You might want to take youre header to a welding shop to see what it would cost to fix it. I would think they could weld it up then grind it back to shape.
Cool, thanks for the idea SLO. Before I do that, I'd like to get your input on the photo if you don't mind. See the white area there? Is it cause for concern or will the copper gasket conform to the contour?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Cool, thanks for the idea SLO. Before I do that, I'd like to get your input on the photo if you don't mind. See the white area there? Is it cause for concern or will the copper gasket conform to the contour?
From what I can tell from the photo the sealing surface looks fine so a new gasket should fix you right up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts