Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been meaning to post this forever, but usually I think about it when I'm not around a PC (you know...riding at night...).
Ok...how in the heck do you adjust the lights on a Gen II bike?
Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
I assume you're talking about the vertical adjustment. The shop manual isn't very clear on this. Take the windshield off. From the front of the bike, facing the rear of the bike, look straight down. On the right side of the internal plastic you'll see what looks like a "D" shaped hole, with little silver teeth at the back (the straight side of the "D".) Stick a phillips screwdriver in, and turn. and turn. and turn. (Really, it takes a whole lot of revolutions.) I don't remember if clockwise is up or down - you'll have to see where it moves where the headlight shines on a wall.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, the owners manual doesn't have squat either.
Thanks very much. It was driving me nuts.

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
I drilled a hole in my windshield at 'just the right spot and angle' so that I can stick the screwdriver in there and adjust it on the fly.

I did that after driving back from NorCal one night with the headlight aimed too high due to gear on the back of the bike.

"Why they couldn't have arranged to design the headlight so that there is a knob under the fairing for adjustment escapes me", Tom said lightly...

Tom

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
You need to carefully measure where the hole should be. Take the windshield off and put the screwdriver in the dingus. I think it's a #2 Philips. Measure where the hole should be in the windshield and drill a 3/8" hole (starting out small and working up).

The screwdriver goes into the dingus at a bit of an angle, relative to the curve of the windshield. Re-install the windshield, put the drill in the hole, and rotate the drill around to the proper orientation, thus elongating the hole. You can plug the hole with a 3/8" plastic hole plug.

I can take pictures, if you like.

There's a bit of pucker factor involved, but being able to adjust the headlight on the fly makes it worth it (for me).

Tom

Reactions: ZachM1

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like I have some fun projects for over the xmas break. I have two windshields to do it to. I'll start with my ugly winter screen first.

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Yeah I don't know what the Kawasaki engineers were thinking when they created that light adjustment. Also it's my understanding that there is no adjustment to adjust left or right?
I believe there is - it's on the opposite side from the up and down. Never have really looked at it or played with it.

Tom

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I drilled a hole in my windshield at 'just the right spot and angle' so that I can stick the screwdriver in there and adjust it on the fly.

I did that after driving back from NorCal one night with the headlight aimed too high due to gear on the back of the bike.

"Why they couldn't have arranged to design the headlight so that there is a knob under the fairing for adjustment escapes me", Tom said lightly...

Tom
"Now that is dam smart", Tom said slowly.

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Necessity is a mother, Tom said inventively

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
"Needs more of them plastic attachy thingees", Tom said zippily. :)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I believe there is - it's on the opposite side from the up and down. Never have really looked at it or played with it.

Tom
Well that's good. I remember reading several posts claiming there was no horizontal adjustment and couldn't help thinking that's really goofy. It's bad enough they have the adjusters hidden behind the windshield.

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
The horizontal adjuster is accessible on the under side, left, of the cowl. Nothing needs to come off.

They could have made the vertical just as accessible, I'm sure.

I wonder what the headlight assembly is common with... probably works better on that bike... ;^)

Tom

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
"Don't bogart the dingus, though", Tom said in a flightily.

De-construct and discuss...

Tom
"The dingus is like the doohickey, yeah?", Tom said springily.

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
"Aw, c'mon - Stevie Wonder can see this one", Tom said blindly.

(That's not a hint)

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think my headlight is aimed too high, though I'm not sure. Is there a way to tell what the proper angle is or is it just rider preference?

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
"I think I can see the maltese falcon through the smoke", Tom puffed. (covering multiple bases, oh yeah)

BTW, when you type dingus into google you get this:

ding·us/ˈdiNGgəs/
Noun: Used to refer to something whose name the speaker cannot remember, is unsure of, or is humorously or euphemistically omitting: "here's a doohickey—and there's the dingus".

And I didn't even do that until after I wrote the last one. Trippy huh?

BTW II, I love how everyone just ignores this shit like its not happening. It's like ignoring your drunk uncle at thanksgiving. ;)

·
Registered
327 Posts
BTW II, I love how everyone just ignores this shit like its not happening. It's like ignoring your drunk uncle at thanksgiving. ;)
I am am not of the quick minded sort so I just enjoy reading from the sidelines. Thank you for the delightful entertainment. :33a:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts