Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

Long time rider first time KLR owner here. I have a beautiful low mileage, bone stock, '09 KLR 650. My question is this..... Are there any mods I need to make to the bike to correct anything Kawasaki overlooked or got wrong? Anything I should address as soon as possible?

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
I'd check to see if there were any outstanding recalls that needed to be done (some of the 09's were affected by the wiring rub recall), and put a real skid plate on it if you plan on going off road. Other than that I'm sure everybody will say to do the doo, but that's up to you. The 09's had a much more robust doo, but the springs have been reported to be weak.

One thing that's a must is to keep an eagle eye on the oil level... I check mine at every fill to be safe. Some of these bikes like to sip the oil, especially on higher RPM highway trips. If I had a dime for every KLR that I've heard/read about that had it's head lunched due to being run low on oil... Well, I'd have a couple of bucks! Oils cheap, heads aint! :)

But really, these are pretty much gas and go bikes. Reliable and long lasting right out of the box. I'm sure others will chime in with advice, just figured I'd get the ball rolling :D

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
doo

shorter front fender

+1" shifter

new seat

I've done more. None are necessary. These are the ones I'm REALLY glad I did.

Oh, and grip puppies for the grips.

:35a:

At least put a new tight spring on the newer robust doo if you want it to work right - they way the stupid engineering intended, but it will run regardless. ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I'm with you on the whole seat issue. The day after I bought my bike I did a 180 mile road trip out to my brothers house and back. My tail bone area was sore for the next week after. The stock saddle has to go!!! I intend to do some adventure riding and need seat good for at least 4 hours of riding time.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
You have to break your butt in gradually to the KLR seat. I've done a 500 mile day on the KLR stock seat and walked away to tell the tale. However I have to admit that the new Rick Meyer seat I have now would probably allow a skip in my step after 500 miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts