Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fire the sleepy thumper and let her warm while I snug my hiking boots (not really important, but if I slip too far away form my literary stream-of-consciousness I'll probably post something about soup or a gardening question... maybe even dingos. Man, I really want a dingo.)

The awakening sunlight pierces the treeline in a brilliant orange as I zip up the mesh, no liner just a hoodie underneath. I'm running early, probably have time for a coffee stop this morning.

I bang my knee on the luggage rack for the ninth time in twenty-four hours as I mount up... It's been on there thirty-three hours now. The Rust-Oleum "unique hammered finish" black is starting to show some wear, not so much as my knee though.

Rolling out of the garage I notice the little missez took the Civic. It's a perfect morning... she must be getting the oil changed or something.

The actual post begins here.

Okay, like anyway, I roll out of the assigned place of bidness today and notice the sky looks angry... Not good, but I head out to knock-down some last minute errands before this particular 'ville rolls it in for the next four days... and then it starts raining. (The wife checks Weather.com when she gets up, I go to craigslist.)

Lo and Behold! The Gen2 actually has decent rain protection! My old Gen1 had virtually none, maybe less. I think it may have actually caused rain on two occasions while I was on I-70 in the mid-90's. The Gen2 KLR is actually MUCH better in the rain than my 2nd Gen SV650S (the SV with the fairing.)

It may be under-engineered, overweight, assembled by Asian child labor and have "questionable" styling... but I'm starting to warm up to it.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
You are right.

Not only is the protection much better than gen 1/ DR's, XLR's, etc., but
putting my feet up on the highway pegs lets me tuck in my legs behind
the lower fairing. Good but not great rain bike. It does lotsa stuff good
and very few things great but I love my KLR!

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
With the fairing and a good rain suit, I do allright. :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
What is the best rain gear. I have Sieara Designs (misspelled) Top &Pants each fit in a 5" stuff sack, i wear it over my riding gear and have never gotten wet! What is your favorite?

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
El Cheapo, here. My favorite rain suit is one of those 35mm PVC bright yellow rain suits with the bib-type pants and jacket with a hood I can tuck up under the back of my helmet. Size 6X to fit over my regular riding pants and jacket. It ain't pretty, but it works well. Always stays in my Wolfman tank bag in case I need it along with a pair of waterproof socks I can slip on inside the leather work boots that are my "riding boots."
I also keep those coated with that water-repellent stuff in the can with the orange top you can buy at Walmart so if I don't have time to get the socks on, my feet still stay dry. I also have a pair of those "lobster-claw" over-gloves I got from some place in New Zealand and they work very well; can't remember the brand name of 'em. That's my setup: not fashionable, but very functional and folds up into a pretty small package to always keep on the KLR. The 35mm PVC is pretty durable, but if it happens to get ripped or something, you can get a whole new rain suit for less than $20, even in a 6X.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
What is the best rain gear. I have Sieara Designs (misspelled) Top &Pants each fit in a 5" stuff sack, i wear it over my riding gear and have never gotten wet! What is your favorite?
I got a good deal on NewEnough.com. One piece with a neoprene hood. Looks stupid. Keeps you totally dry. Tourmaster, I think?

Yep, http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/raingear/1_pc_suits/tour_master/elite_ii_one_piece_motorcycle_rain_suit.html

Screaming good deal. I can attest, it works great and vents pretty well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts