Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody know the maximum amps produced and the consumed amps[ie.]by headlight and charging circuit ,lights ,ignition etc.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
ELECTRICAL USAGE in Watts: Gen2

Dash meter lights 3 x 3.4 = 10.2
Tail Light 8
Tag light 8
Low beam headlight 55
High beam light (Gen-2 only) 55
High beam indicator 3.4
Ignition system ??
----
Gen-2 = 139.6 Gen-1 = 84.6

NOT USED FULL TIME IN COLD WEATHER
Radiator fan gen1 about 35
Neutral indicator 3.4
Brake light 27
Turn signals 2 x 23 = 46
Turn indicator 3.4

Gen-1 Alternator 14 Amps at 14 Volts = 196 Watts
Gen-2 Alternator 17 Amps at 14 Volts = 238 Watts

On the gen-2 KLRs you have around 240 watts of power almost all the way down to idle and about 140 watts of lights including the two 55 watt headlights and about 30 watts of other small light that are on all the time. Brake lights, turn signals and the fan should not be on enough to make a big difference so I don't count them. That gives you about 100 watts for accessories.

I have not seen any LED head lights that I would want to use, but you can gain 10 watts from each head light by using HID lights with 45 watt ballasts to run 35 watt HID bulbs. You can save 20 or so watts by using LEDs for dash, tail and tag lights.

That gives you about 140 watts to use as you want. Heated vest around 75 watts. Heated grips around 25 watts. MP3 player almost nothing. You can get some really good fog lights from Trail Tech that put out 800 lumens and use about 10 watts for $125 each. What else do you need?

You will be running right on the edge of the power supply and should get a good digital voltmeter so you will know when to shut some power users off. You can pickup 45 or 55 watts - HID or standard - by shutting off the high beam light.

MOSFET regulator/rectifier might help. FH-010. I'm told an FH-012 will work too

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gen 2 max power

what amps does the charge circuit put out
what is the max amps
what is the amps required to run the basic bike

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
Threads merged but maybe would have been better with a delete. Please do not ask the same question in two different threads. Be patient for a reply or bump the original thread.

·
Registered
203 Posts
current drains

What to answer GoMotor.
I read through your thread and then had to write it all out. I just started a thread on LED lighting and your response here is great information.
If you get a chance, add your two cents in to my thread. It will be worth reading, I am sure. I think your two cents values out to about a dollar!
Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts