Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I recently bought this 2015. It has Tusk pannier racks on it and i went to pull the left panel. Something was in the way that i am unfamiliar with. Consulted the Clymer and it looks like I got Californicated here. Thing is, here in IA, a guy has a strong desire to rip any EPA out of his equipment. Our diesels are deleted and run straight pipes, cant imagine not messing with this on the KLR.
Of course I would appreciate any advise so I dont cause anything to come back and bite me in the arse.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
The GREEN fitting goes into the Clean side of the air box! Gotta' plug that hole.
A longer hose to the BLUE nipple on the tank, from gas cap vent nipple down past shock spring.
A High Quality cap on the RED nipple on the tank. Otherwise you can't put the full 5.928 usable gallons into the tank.
A High Quality cap on the WHITE 'T' nipple or delete T. Still gotta' have vacuum to fuel tap.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So plug the green

Extend the blue down past the shock

Cap the red at the tank

Cap off or eliminate the T on the white.

So, do away with the canister as well as the liquid/vapor separator?

·
Registered
623 Posts
I’m curious, other than a bit of weight savings, what is gained by removing the canister and etc?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Personally, not concerned with a weight savings. It's because I'd rather not pull pannier racks to remove the left side panel. I've read in other places that the panels come off fine with these racks in place but I suspect the folks posting aren't dealing with California emissions requirements.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
I’m curious, other than a bit of weight savings, what is gained by removing the canister and etc?
About 2-3 pints of fuel capacity & zero chance of over-filled 'Hot start/running' issues due to a flooded charcoal can.

I've had to Fast IDLE my 1988 Ford Ranger about 7 miles of road time due to over-filling the fuel tank, more than once.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Because every way I turn and cock it, just not getting past the canister.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Lol...I also got "Californicated" here in Florida.

I purchased my 2016 Camo Model new at my dealer in Brandon, Florida and didn't notice the california vapor recovery garbage for about a week. I purchased many new motorcycles. You're not expecting it; you're not looking for it; you don't know what to look for! My dealer was equally surprised, but they subsequently determined from momma kawi that all Camo models produced were Cali Models. So, at least for the 2016 model year, if you wanted a digi-camo model you'd get a cali model.

An additional "A" at the end of the model number on your sales order is the indicator that it's a Cali Bike as in KL650EGFA for my 2016 and KL650EJFA for your 2018.

I bought my 2016 in 12/2015 but it wasn't until this past October that I removed all the cali emissions crappola. Basically, what I'd learned early on is that it didn't help anything and it didn't hurt anything. So I grumbled a little, but just left it on and pretty much forgot about it. It wasn't until I got into some serious motor work last October that I found how much crap there really was to that system. Basically I pulled it all out to get it out of the way!

At the same time, I did the Air Induction System (AIS) Blockoff using the Eagle Mike Air Induction Blockoff Kit. More emissions stuff, the AIS draws fresh air (from inside the frame) into the exhaust header to help ignite unburned fuel. Mostly another doesn't hurt or help anything, except in the case of some aftermarket pipes that experience much more decel popping than the oe to the point of backfire. It actually made a noticable difference with the Yoshi I'd installed earlier in 2018. Something else to consider as you dig out all the unnecessary plumbing on the KLR650.

I chronicled my Vapor Recovery and AIS removal in a blog post. Have a look...

The Eagle Mike AIS Blockoff Kit is under $15:
https://www.eaglemike.com/Air-injection-blockoff-kit-AIS.htm

Here's the blog writeup:
http://kamoklr.blogspot.com/2018/10/vapor-recovery-and-ais-removal.html

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll check that out, thanks!
The link just takes me to EM's page for the AIS blocking plate.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I'll check that out.
The link just takes me to EM's part listing. Can I find your blog someplace else?

·
Registered
623 Posts
About 2-3 pints of fuel capacity & zero chance of over-filled 'Hot start/running' issues due to a flooded charcoal can.

I've had to Fast IDLE my 1988 Ford Ranger about 7 miles of road time due to over-filling the fuel tank, more than once.
Where would the extra 2-3 pints go? I already fill my tank to the rim, leaving only enough to close the gas cap.
Guess I’ve been lucky in not flooding the canister, or is it simply being conscious enough to shut the flow before it floods over the top?
Genuine question, Avoiding being stranded is favorable!

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
Lol...I also got "Californicated" here in Florida.

An additional "A" at the end of the model number on your sales order is the indicator that it's a Cali Bike as in KL650EGFA for my 2016 and KL650EJFA for your 2018.
Someone has given you some Miss-Information, Bill10.

The additional "A" is for the special color. That additional "A" will show up on all special color/Special Edition models. It helps when picking your model to order replacement pre-painted body parts.

One will find the California evap. plumbing in the parts screens for most all models & most all colors & most all years, clear back to about 1990 (oldest Kawasaki evap I found, 1983 on Partzilla screens GPZ & Voyager). (Some models were Not sold in any color in CA.)

But you will Not be able to find the digital camo painted parts on the parts screens with the Red, Blue, Green, Ebony. etc standard painted models.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
Where would the extra 2-3 pints go? I already fill my tank to the rim, leaving only enough to close the gas cap.
Guess I’ve been lucky in not flooding the canister, or is it simply being conscious enough to shut the flow before it floods over the top?
Genuine question, Avoiding being stranded is favorable!
The normal answer would be, UP. Up to the very top of the filler neck.

Is your Red tank nipple capped off, blocked off? If you pull the red hose off the red nipple after an over-fill does gas not run out of the red nipple? The upper tip of the steel tube is open in the air space around the filler neck. Some of the upper ends may be lower in the tank than others?

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Hey, I bought a 2015 late this past summer in Virginia. My understanding was that all the 15s had the Ca emission package and I shortly found out that they weren’t joking about overfilling the fuel tank. Thanks to the gang here in the forum I was able to get over that, but I did take the Ca emission system off with good results. Runs like a champ w/o that goofy stuff.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
Hey, I bought a 2015 late this past summer in Virginia. My understanding was that all the 15s had the Ca emission package and I shortly found out that they weren’t joking about overfilling the fuel tank. Thanks to the gang here in the forum I was able to get over that, but I did take the Ca emission system off with good results. Runs like a champ w/o that goofy stuff.
You also had miss-information.

All the Gen 2 models in all states received the exhaust Air Injection System. But only the CA Approved units got the Evap system.

With ever changing EPA regulations they are working towards all models of internal combustion engines having fuel Evap systems, if I'm not miss-taken.

Reactions: dan filipi

·
Registered
541 Posts
You also had miss-information.

All the Gen 2 models in all states received the exhaust Air Injection System. But only the CA Approved units got the Evap system.

With ever changing EPA regulations they are working towards all models of internal combustion engines having fuel Evap systems, if I'm not miss-taken.

Someone has given you some Miss-Information, Bill10.

The additional "A" is for the special color. That additional "A" will show up on all special color/Special Edition models. It helps when picking your model to order replacement pre-painted body parts.

One will find the California evap. plumbing in the parts screens for most all models & most all colors & most all years, clear back to about 1990 (oldest Kawasaki evap I found, 1983 on Partzilla screens GPZ & Voyager). (Some models were Not sold in any color in CA.)

But you will Not be able to find the digital camo painted parts on the parts screens with the Red, Blue, Green, Ebony. etc standard painted models.
Good grief dude. Do actually do anything other than sit there and nitpick other people’s posts? Obviously you don’t have any rides to post about. :serious:

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
Imho, miss-information leads to other errors. Best to attempt to correct as early as possible, if possible.

It was minus 8F at my house last night. Haven't owned a runable snowmobile for 15 years.

Reactions: timberfoot
1 - 20 of 31 Posts